[RESOLVED] I/O address for multiple serial port cards

Thread: [RESOLVED] I/O address for multiple serial port cards

Post I/O address for multiple serial port cards

Hi

I have a PCI Dual UART port and one printer port card. On Windows 98 PC when this card is inserted the OS itself assigns the IRQ and the I/O base address to the card. When the cards is operational it shows only one COM port i.e. COM5. It doesn't show the presence of another COM port COM6 and the printer port LPT1. Can anyone please tell me how should I handle the existence of multiple ports ? How should I assign the IRQ and I/O base addresses to the remaining two ports (COM6 & LPT1)? Has this to be done in my driver ? Or is there any way of doing, so that the OS itself will assign seperate I/O base addresses to all the three ports.
    Please can anyone educate me regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance

Ravi

well if it has jumpers then you can assign them, second - why all the extra com ports? i have two in mine and have NEVER used them.
    the printer port should be LPT2 at IRQ5/3?8 (not 378 that is lpt1)
    the driver may have a 'configuration wizard' in it so check that too, and if all else fails - you can always contact the manufacturer

Frithiof_Olsen

Cool

When using an unknown add on card, I normally disable all the on board settings. Then plug in the card and see where the ports are set to. Then bring in the onbaord ports and set them to the alternate ports. So the onboard LPT becomes LPT2 and the COM ports 3 & 4