[RESOLVED] Installing OS with an external cd drive. How do I make a boot disk w/ the cd drivers?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Installing OS with an external cd drive. How do I make a boot disk w/ the cd drivers?

gotmike

Post Installing OS with an external cd drive. How do I make a boot disk w/ the cd drivers?

I am trying to install windows on a computer with an external cd-rom drive. The drive connects with the parallel port. How do I make a startup disk or boot disk that will provide support to the external cd-rom drive through the parallel port?

I can't use a regular IDE cd-rom because the computer has an especially small footprint (9.5" X 8.5" X 2"). It uses a mini IDE connector which I don't have.

Can anyone help me with a solution?

The computer also has a network card built in, so I may be able to install an os through the network card. But don't know much about how to do that. Any advice on that possible solution would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

MikeTurley

Do you have an installation disk with the drive with DOS drivers? If so install them on another machine then copy the installed files onto a boot floppy. Copy the added lines in config.sys and autoexec.bat lines to the ones on the floppy, changing c: references to a:. You should now be able to boot using the floppy and see the CD.

To avoid having to re-attach the CD drive every time you need to install new drivers, partition the HDD, format it and then copy the cabs onto the HDD. Re-boot without the boot disk and install from the cabs on the HDD.

Good luck,

Mike

I'm having the same type of problem, could someone please help me here: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=64748!! I need help!
    Last edited by The It; October 11th, 2004 at 08:24 AM.