[RESOLVED] Question on about Flashing a BIOS?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Question on about Flashing a BIOS?

archonix

Post Question on about Flashing a BIOS?

Hey all, I have a little question. I've fried a motherboard before be hitting the rest switch while flashing the bios (Doh!) but I was wondering how long does it take to flash the bios onece you've booted with it and started the flash?
    (I don't think it matters but I have a ABit BE6-ii)

J_Man

Lightbulb

Usually when you flash your BIOS, an indicater bar tells you how much is completed. It should take about 15 to 30 seconds to flash then tell you to re-boot your PC.

BTW - How did you fry your m/b?

archonix

I did the flash and kept waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting. I probably waited for 15 mintues. No responce. So I rebooted and guess what ? fried the chip. But call Abit up and for 12 bucks they sent me a new bios chip in a week. It worked great.

J_Man

Sounds like you flashed a 5 volt bios chip with the flasher set to 12 volts, but it could have been a faulty part.

b_fleury

I've heard that if you have the identical same board, you can boot up using a good bios, then swap chips with the board on and flash the bios. Sounds pretty risky, but if anyone wants to try it out on an older board I'd be interested in the results.

I have a pc chip mother board a p21g I tried to go into safe mode I hit f8 and I get the drive's,what button do I hit to get into safe mode????

Welcome to Windrivers joe

You need to start a new thread rather than tacking onto a resolved 6 year old thread.

When you do post, make sure you post the details about your operating system
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."