[RESOLVED] CDROM HOOKUP

Thread: [RESOLVED] CDROM HOOKUP

KEMETHOUSE

Cool CDROM HOOKUP

I bought a used cdrom and the IDE cable that comes from it can be attached to an extra IDE input on the motherboard but I don't know how to get the computer to recognize its there?

Hi,
    First off, we're assuming that you do have an extra IDE connector on your motherboard. Make sure that the connector is not on backwards. The red wire on the cable refers to Pin 1. If that new (used) CD-ROM is the only device on that IDE channel, make sure that the jumpers on the drive is set to Master. Then, you probable need to go into BIOS and select Auto-Detect for IDE 1 and 2. Save changes and reboot. Hopefully, it'll start flying for you. If BIOS doesn't detect it, it is probably bad.
    Hope this helps out...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Depending on the bios date some older bios do not recognize CDROMs, but that doesn't mean it wont work. Do you have 2 IDE slots on your motherboard? If not then you have to slave it onto your primary IDE cable with your harddrive.....If you slave it dont forget the jumper settings on the haerddrive and cdrom

b_fleury

Right click on my computer, go to properties. Go to the device manager tab and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks on the IDE controllers. If there are, re-boot into safe mode, go back into device manager and delete the ide controllers.

Then run regedit and search for NOIDE. If you find it, delete it, and reboot. Windows will detect the IDE controllers again, asking you to reboot again. Say no and it will find the secondary controller. Say no to any reboots until the desktop shows up, then reboot your computer. The CDROM should show up.

Pogi

Also, you may have to go into your BIOS and enable the secondary IDE - sometimes the secondary is disabled by default.

[This message has been edited by Pogi (edited October 27, 2000).]