[RESOLVED] Floppy Drive won’t read under Win98

Thread: [RESOLVED] Floppy Drive won’t read under Win98

gesingle

Post Floppy Drive won’t read under Win98

I just upgraded an old 486 machine with a Pentium 200 MHz MMX motherboard. I cannot read the floppy drive while in Windows 98. It gives a “The disk in drive A is not formatted” message. However, the same drive and diskette will boot successfully, will read if I restart in MS-DOS mode, and will read if I load Windows 95. Trying to read from a MS-DOS box in Win98 gives a General Failure error. These are with clean re-installations of Windows.

The floppy drive has been replaced with a new one, with no difference.

The Award BIOS ID is 05/06/97-VXPro-UMC8670-2A5LAH09C-00, which indicates the board is a Hsin-Tech/PcChips M537. Board Rev number is 5.0.

Here is the chipset info obtained from ctpci.exe:
    00 0 Vendor=VIA Technologies Incorporated No PCI-INT
    Device=VT82C585VP Apollo VPX Chipset, System/PCI Ctrl., Rev=23h
    07 0 Vendor=VIA Technologies Incorporated No PCI-INT
    Device=VT82C586A Apollo Chipset, Function 0: ISA Bridge, Rev=27h
    07 1 Vendor=VIA Technologies Incorporated No PCI-INT
    Device=VT82C586A/B Apollo Chipset, Function 1: IDE-Bridge, Rev=06h
    07 2 Vendor=VIA Technologies Incorporated INT D=255, NC
    Device=VT82C586A/B Apollo Chipset, Function 2: USB Bridge, Rev=02h
    09 0 Vendor=Cirrus Logic No PCI-INT
    Device=4000h -- new device ID, Rev=01h

The actual labels on the chips are VX_PRO+ PC82C371USB, PC82C437VX+, and PC82C438VX+

The VIA FAQ site states: “Microsoft has bundled full support for VIA chipsets into Win98 therefore it isn't necessary to install the VIA bus master driver but VIA suggests installing the VIA AGP driver and IrQ routing miniport driver”. Coincidence that my problem is only with Win98? I suspect that if I can identify the driver, I could install the Win95 version.

I updated the BIOS to the 9/4/97 version. I also installed the VIA 4-in-1 Driver version 4.25a, which includes the IrQ routing miniport driver

I suspect the chipset drivers, but don’t know what dlls may be involved. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to try next?

Exclamation

I had the same thing with an IBM 486, floppy worked in Win 95 but not Win 98, Must have something to do with the chipset or just run Windows 95 , I had to just reinstall Windows 95 on the IBM

------------------
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )