No Sound in Only One Area-Media Player
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Sound in Only One Area-Media Player

Post No Sound in Only One Area-Media Player

I am having a problem with sound. I just replaced my MB, which has onboard audio. I CAN play music CDs and I can also hear the Windows startup/shutdown sounds. But, when I try to play sound files using Windows Media Player {I am running this in Windows 98SE}, I get an error message stating the hardware is not found or installed incorrectly. I am then carried to the MS KB article below but have tried all the steps and still am unable to play these files. I have uninstalled/reinstalled both Windows Media Player and my sound card. I would like to get this working as I have a service, which catches my phone calls while, online and I hear the messages with Windows Media Player. Pasted below is the article Windows Media points me to.

Thanks for the help,
    Jeff

Windows Media Player Cannot Play Back the Audio Stream (Q236396)

The information in this article applies to:
    · Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    · Microsoft Windows 98
    · Microsoft Windows 95
    · Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP Home Edition
    · Microsoft Windows Media Player for Windows XP Professional
    · Microsoft Windows Media Player 7.1
    · Microsoft Windows Media Player versions 6.0 , 6.1 , 6.2 , 6.4 , 7

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to play a video file that contains audio in Windows Media Player, you may receive one of the following error messages:
    · Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available (Error=40258).
    · Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not responding (Error= 80040256)

CAUSE
    This issue can occur for either of the following reasons:
    · Your computer does not have a sound card, or your sound card is not working properly.
    · Another program is currently using your sound card, so it is not available for Windows Media Player to use.

NOTE : This cause is specific to Microsoft Windows NT-based or Microsoft Windows 95-based computers.
    · The hardware acceleration is set to too high.
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

Lightbulb

Sorry if this sounds obvious, but have you tried the latest drivers for your audio? By the way, what onboard audio chip is it?

Usually there are versions of these sound chips which can use either a wdm type drive or a .vxd based one.

If you use the wrong type windows misdiagnoses the device in device manager and you get blue screens, you want the .vdx version. Device manager should then find the card slightly differently, you don't want it showing as a wdm type device.

I reinstalled the drivers and it now works fine. I had reinstalled them several times before with no luck until now...go figure.

Thanks!

Jeff
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

Same problem... I need help.

Same problem (i think) here - except I am running Windows ME

I am not sure that how to update my drivers
    because my "Sounds and Multimedia" of Control Panel... only to find that IT WILL NOT OPEN!
    ---------------------------------------------
    here are the details::
    I am running a Dell Deminsion 8100 with Pentium 4 (1.4 Ghz)and 256 ram.
    I have a Creative SoundBlaster sound card (version 5.0) and I am using Windows ME operating system

I have not loaded anything new or changed settings recently, but just the other day I was playing an mp3 from Windows Media Player and it would not load, giving me an error 0xC00D11BA: Cannot play the file saying that "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly." I have tried to play and all sorts of audio and nothing works in WMP, but it DOES work if I play it in other programs (like Musicmatch Jukebox)

WMP will load up Video files just fine - But with NO Sound at all...
    (my quicktime files play fine with sound in Quicktime....)

Then I tried to double check my Drivers and settings in the "Sounds and Multimedia" of Control Panel... only to find that IT WILL NOT OPEN! I have tried everthing and it will not open.

Again... I have sound via Everywhere Except for within Windows Media Player. (sounds work on websites, at start up, and on every other media or audio player...)

FYI, I HAVE deleted and re-downloaded the latest WMP program and have run Windows update and have all my latest Critical updates.

I do have Norton Anti-Virus loaded and running - and have scanned several times for viruses or worms and nothing is showing.

ANY IDEAS WHAT TO DO???

Jcornett, yes, right click my computer, properties, device manager tab. Does the sound show up there under sound and multimedia devices?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Jcornett, yes, right click my computer, properties, device manager tab. Does the sound show up there under sound and multimedia devices?
    I see the "Creative AudioPCI" and "Wave device for voice modem

I clicked on each of these and BOTH say they are functioning properly
    and I have run the "Update Drivers" on each and it just says that I am curretly running the latest drivers.

* Note - I DO have sound Everywhere EXCEPT for Windows Media Player 9

and I CAN NOT get my "sounds and multimedia" section of Control panel to open at all to see inside of it!

Do you have the bloat... err liveware loaded? This will show up in add/remove programs if you do.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Do you have the bloat... err liveware loaded? This will show up in add/remove programs if you do.
    no.
    I do see a LiveReg and a LiveUpdate (both part of Norton Antivirus)

Do I need Livewire?

Short answer... No... it usually just eats resources.

What happens if you click start, run, type in
    mmsys.cpl
    and click ok?

Short answer... No... it usually just eats resources.

What happens if you click start, run, type in
    mmsys.cpl
    and click ok?
    absolutely nothing.
    (the cursor "flickers" for maybe a nanosecond, but that is it!)

It is the exact same as if I clickedd on (or Right clicked&Open) on Sounds and Multimedia
    Last edited by jcornett; April 24th, 2004 at 05:38 PM.

OK, boot to safemode. Go into add/remove programs, second tab windows setup.. Uncheck anything to do with sound or multimedia. Apply - but do not reboot.

Now go to device manager and remove the sound card and associated entries from sounds and multimedia. Shut down. Boot into bios and disable onboard sound (sometimes more than one setting). Reboot to normal mode. If windows detects a sound card, then you need to repeat the above procedure until windows does not detect sound.

Now re enable sound in bios and boot to normal mode. Windows should reinstall all the support programs this time.

I think I understand all your instructions... except for
    Boot into bios and disable onboard sound (sometimes more than one setting).

what does that mean?
    Last edited by jcornett; April 27th, 2004 at 08:48 PM.

ok ,
    I still need help with this.....

PLEASE!

I think I understand all your instructions... except for
    Boot into bios and disable onboard sound (sometimes more than one setting).

what does that mean?

Do you have a branded computer?
    If not, chances are hitting del key at the startup when it says "del to enter setup" or similar.