ECS P3 Motherboard - P6BAT A+ revision 2.0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ECS P3 Motherboard - P6BAT A+ revision 2.0

Post ECS P3 Motherboard - P6BAT A+ revision 2.0

Bought this board second user (yes i know, im doing this alot latley - )

only way i can get this board to power is by removing and shorting the CMOS clear jumper and even then it doesnt always work - sometimes only powers for 6seconds...

anyone have any ideas - spent about 6-7 hours on it now...

[Frown]
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Banned

right come across this before , does it work if u unplug the power and on again ,like a AT ?? ,,try keeping your finger on the on/off button for ages ,reprog it ,

FtF

no power button, just me and my screwdrive, btw morning freddy - worse than me for early mornings lol...

sometimes it powers and displays video, sometimes straight on and back off again [Frown]

This almost reminds me of Matsonic 7016s at/atx mb in an at format for PII or celeron cpu's.

For the first little while they worked okay on at power supplies, then start to get finicky and act the same way you describe, use an atx p.s. they work fine.
    Are you using an at or atx p.s.???

Something is grounding or it doesn't like a part you are using with it or it is just a P.O.S.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

Darn Garak that's a heck of a situation. I don't know if this is any help, but when I moved up here to Alaska my ASUS board acted very similarly (actually the whole PC was buggered ). Turns out there was just a little corrosion on the bottom of the board causing a short. I tried for a couple of weeks to straighten it out and finally gave up (never did see an arc). The good news the moving company did replace my PC (man I'm glad I kept receipts ).
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

Banned

ok just humor me , keep your s.driver on the pins ,,,,,,,until it fires up keep it on ,,,,,

just got up to split some MPGs (vcds) had TMPGEnc doing multiple decoding last night ,,,8 instances of decoding 1.2g files ....a lot of splitting and writing to do before 9

thats another 4 disks writen !!!!!! (damm fast those 48 speeders)

FtF

Banned

quote:
    Originally posted by Major Kong:
    Darn Garak that's a heck of a situation. I don't know if this is any help, but when I moved up here to Alaska my ASUS board acted very similarly (actually the whole PC was buggered ). Turns out there was just a little corrosion on the bottom of the board causing a short. I tried for a couple of weeks to straighten it out and finally gave up (never did see an arc). The good news the moving company did replace my PC (man I'm glad I kept receipts ).

what time is it up there , i always thought u were us time? it,s like 7am over here in uk were me and garak are.

FtF

I also suggest to try another power supply at or atx and double check power connectors for any loose connections.

What kind of video card, cpu, ram are you using for testing and powering on????

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska

quote:
    Originally posted by freddy:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Major Kong:

what time is it up there , i always thought u were us time? it,s like 7am over here in uk were me and garak are.

FtF

It's right now 10:24 PM Alaska Daylight Time. Still 24 hrs of daylight!
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

well - the board is ATX only and currently i've ran 3 power supplies on it - all of which i know work - 2x230 and 1x300....

test kit is a PC100 32meg dimm and a Celeron 266 - both work as i have been benching with these for the past 2 weeks...

even keeping the screw driver to short the pins, the board powers down after 6seconds, will check the board over sometime to day...

Garak, I had that with a Tyan board, turned out a power surge had screwed the bios.. and the video. When I reflashed the bios it seemed stable, but I never trusted it after that. It got replaced in an upgrade 6 months later.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

well im not really complaining too much - got 2 boards for £10 out of the spares and repairs box, and the PC chips board worked lmfhao!!!!

might see if i can flash the BIOS somehow - if i can keep the board up long enough to flash it im happy...

quote:
    Originally posted by Garak:
    well im not really complaining too much - got 2 boards for £10 out of the spares and repairs box, and the PC chips board worked lmfhao!!!!

So,as I see, You have been learning motherboard repair works... [Wink]

From what I have seen, it could be ... bad CMOS battery... did You check it using voltmeter?
    Bad battery sometimes akts as well as "clear CMOS" jumper set in wrong position and thus, can prevent motherboard from booting.

Besides that... Few days ago I had one motherboard (ZIDA-Tomato), what refused to boot without battery inserted... gotta learn something new... [Wink]

Check also - may be some of ICs are running too hot (i.e. fried).
    Anyways, if You'll be unable to fix that board,You'll get spare BIOS flash IC... [Wink]

quote:
    Originally posted by Ruslan:
    So,as I see, You have been learning motherboard repair works... [Wink]

From what I have seen, it could be ... bad CMOS battery... did You check it using voltmeter?
    Bad battery sometimes akts as well as "clear CMOS" jumper set in wrong position and thus, can prevent motherboard from booting.

Besides that... Few days ago I had one motherboard (ZIDA-Tomato), what refused to boot without battery inserted... gotta learn something new... [Wink]

Check also - may be some of ICs are running too hot (i.e. fried).
    Anyways, if You'll be unable to fix that board,You'll get spare BIOS flash IC... [Wink]

I don't know how to use a volt metre

now the board doesnt power for more than 3seconds weird huh..

quote:
    Originally posted by Garak:
    I don't know how to use a volt metre

now the board doesnt power for more than 3seconds weird huh..

How to use voltmeter: [Wink] http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/usingamultimeter.htm Read that article... [Wink]

May be really it's just only dying battery - did You try replacing it?
    Have You seen any suspicious electrolitic capacitors on the PCB?