[RESOLVED] VIA VP3 AT duel fifo IDE probs

Thread: [RESOLVED] VIA VP3 AT duel fifo IDE probs

TEMPLAR

VIA VP3 AT duel fifo IDE probs

I have a VIA VP3 M/board (I think thats the chipset) It is socket 7 and AT. Win 95b would'nt detect a duel fifo IDE bus thing so I tried the drivers on the CD with the M/board. After this, the computer wouldn't read the CD-ROM drive whatsoever, I always get the message 'drive is not ready' or whatever it is saying that there is no disk there. Well obviously there is a disk there. I have tried setting the CD Drive on the same IDE Channel as the HD, prim slave but Win won't start at all then.

Can anyone help me please? this is serious, I cannot do work without my CD-ROM Drive nor play UNreal which I recently bought or War of the Worlds or even Quake 2.

Thanks for your help people.

Darren Wilson
    what is the full spec of the system????

A make & model of motherboard ( not just chipset ) would help a lot more as would HDD & CD make & models.

TEMPLAR
    I will check it out now, its 4:52 GMT now. I know it's a western digital caviar 4.3gm UDMA HD, 36x wearnes bullet train cdrom. P166 intel mmx (was clocked to 233 mhz for 4 months but new motherboard has overclocking safeguard, how do you disable that?). 40mb Edo ram 16mb Voodoo Banshee AGP, yamaha opl3 sound card, 33.6k pace microlin internal modem. VERY LOUD speakers so I will restart and look for the chipset and motherboard spec.

Thanks mate

TEMPLAR
    Right I have gathered more inf, here it is....

ZP-5V Pentium Motherboard Rev:06 12/02/1998
    12/2/1998 - VP3-58613-8661-2A5LEGAC-00

HD is WPC AC24300L
    CDrom is WPI CDs-36x

Motherboard was made by 'MAINBOARD'

chipset VIA VT82C598MVP

thats all the info I can get for you, the actual models of HD and Cdrom are in my other reply. Thanks for your help it is much appriciated.

TEMPLAR

TEMPLAR
    I have found that the only entries into the regestry of my computer for the hard disk and CD-ROM drive seem to show that the computer thinks they are SCSI devices, this is the entry for the CD-ROM......

SCSI\WPI_____CDS-36X_____ERC_A\MF&CHILD0001&PCI&VEN_1106&DEV_0571&BUS_00&DEV_07&FUNC_0110

this is for the hard disk

SCSI\WDC_AC24300L____________0\MF&CHILD0000&PCI&VEN_1106&DEV_0571&BUS_00&DEV_07&FUNC_0100

My HD and CDROM are not SCSI, so I would think that this could be causing problems. Possibly win95b is not compatible with UDMA? or something and it is mixing UDMA up with SCSI? that is the only thing I can think of. I do not have a clue as to how I can fix this. Maybee there are some upgrades for win95b on microsofts website, what should I look for?.

Please help.

--==TEMPLAR==--

One simple thing to check is for an entry in the registry called "noide". If you search your registry and find this, delete it. Windows puts this entry in there when it thinks that your IDE controller is not compatible with its 32-bit drivers. Delete "noide", then reboot.

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Dennis S.
    Use the newest drivers available from www.via.com.tw

Steve probably has it. NOIDE.
    The key is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    VXD
    IOS

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.