[RESOLVED] AWARD Bios V4.50 PG

Thread: [RESOLVED] AWARD Bios V4.50 PG

RAP3

AWARD Bios V4.50 PG

I am having no luck finding an upgrade for
    this bios. Can anyone point to the correct
    site? Thanks, Ralph

To find your upgrade you will have to contact your motherboard manufacturer, not the BIOS chip manufacturer. If you know your motherboard's manufacturer and model number, you can probably find a BIOS upgrade on the web.

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

RAP3
    I agree. Isn't the letters PG the mother board mfg? I can't cross it anywhere. The computer itself is called a "Trademark". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ralph

Darren Wilson
    no the letters afterwards are not the manufacturer. I have 2 different manufacturers boards ( Giga-Byte GA6-BXE & Asus P2-B ) and they have the same Award bios, apart from the options inside & revision versions are different obviously for the different brands.

Without looking inside your case, you may be able to tell who your motherboard manufacturer is by some of the other characters that are displayed on your POST screen. When your computer first starts up and you see the Award BIOS version 4.50PG message, hit the Pause key. Then look for any other numbers on the screen that might ID the motherboard. Let us know what you find and maybe we can help.

Steve

Darren Wilson
    If you want to find out what make your board is e-mail me at [email protected] and I will mail you a copy of CTBIOS which runs from dos or windows and will tell you who made your board.

RAP3
    The complete number is: Award bios 1984-1995
    V4.50 PG 3.06i804 Thanks, Ralph

Ralph,

The set of numbers you will be looking for will be on the bottom of the screen at bootup. It is a fairly long string, write the whole set down and post that. Like Darren said, there is also a small program called CTBIOS at

http://www.ping.be/bios/links.html

You run this program and it usually gives you the BIOS String and Motherboard manufacturer.
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

RAP3
    And the number is...2/28/96-i430FX-2A59CF0HC-00. CTBios would not work on that computer. I guess I needed to install winzip first. Thanks for the help. Ralph

[This message has been edited by RAP3 (edited April 22, 1999).]

The 6th and 7th numbers identify the board manfacturer in an Award BIOS string. Your board is a FIC. F0 = FIC

Here is the URL:

http://www.fica.com/

and here is a page that will help on future MB identification

http://www.ping.be/bios/numbers.shtml

Hope this helps.

Charlie

"Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

RAP3
    That worked great! But, I really could not determine if the bios I found was an update or not. What started all this was that it would not recognize the new CD player I installed no matter what I told it. Thanks, Ralph

It looks like you have an FIC PT-2000 or PT-2003. You will have to get inside your case after all to find out what the exact model number is. Being an FIC board, you'll probably find the model number hiding between ISA slots. :-)

Then you can go to www.fica.com to download the latest BIOS update and get instructions on how to go about it.

Good luck,

Steve

[This message has been edited by stevet (edited April 24, 1999).]