[RESOLVED] Windows 95 starts with dos window "invalid command line switch: check"

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 95 starts with dos window "invalid command line switch: check"

jmdmps

Post Windows 95 starts with dos window "invalid command line switch: check"

When I turn on my computer I get a dos screen with the message "invalid command line switch: check" that flashes on the screen momentarily. Does anyone know what I should do? I suspect that I may have accidentally deleted some file.

Sounds to me like you might have something running at startup that you don't want running (i.e. a trojan). You might want to check the various places where things run for stuff that shouldn't be there. Some places to check are:
    "Startup" in the start menu
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Run\" in the registry
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run\" in the registry

------------------
    When I hear someone say they give "110%" to whatever they're doing, it makes me feel good inside, because I know I'm not as big a moron as that person is.
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.

Exclamation

Actually, I just remembered that if you have Win98, a much easier way of checking these things is to type "msconfig" in the run box and check under the startup tab. It lists all of the things.

------------------
    When I hear someone say they give "110%" to whatever they're doing, it makes me feel good inside, because I know I'm not as big a moron as that person is.
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.

It would be helpful if you could elaborate a little more. Does that screen flash and then the windows splash screen come up? Does windows load or does it just hang in DOS?If the windows splash screen comes up, press the esc key. It momentarily hides the splash screen, and you can see what the message says. Usually windows will tell you where the error is located... such as "you have an error in config.sys line 2".Once you determine where the error is, you can go from there
    "You can't turn a Volkswagon into a Mercedes!!"

Murphy was an ancestor, of this I am convinced!!