[RESOLVED] Windows 98 Upgrade CD

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows 98 Upgrade CD

Format_It

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows 98 Upgrade CD

Is there anyway to stop the Upgrade CD from asking for the Win95 CD? I threw all my old Win95 CD's because I didn't think I would need them, being that we were going to go to Windows 2000. But one machine can't be upgraded so I want to reinstall 98 but I only have the upgrade version. Is there a way to change the setup.ini file so it doens't ask for verification?

Thanks,

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

Cool

This is how I did it with an OEM copy of Windows 98:

1. Boot from a Win98 boot disk

2. Delete MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS from the PC, then copy MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS from the boot disk to the PC

3. Rename WIN.COM to WIN.OLD and WINVER.OLD in the c:\windows directory.

4. Run the Win98 installation and this should now run.

------------------
    At the end of the day, it's all fundamental.....

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
    This is how I did it with an OEM copy of Windows 98:

1. Boot from a Win98 boot disk

2. Delete MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS from the PC, then copy MSDOS.SYS and IO.SYS from the boot disk to the PC

3. Rename WIN.COM to WIN.OLD and WINVER.OLD in the c:\windows directory.

4. Run the Win98 installation and this should now run.

</font>
    Uh, what does all this have to do with the question?

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Lowland

Sowulu yeah...

Never make you suspicious when a "professional" says "We threw away the old disks......."

Makes me think of another scenario... unlicenced software!!! I have never come across a legit set-up throwing away software. Mislaying, having it stolen, maybe, but even then we encourage back-ups, ERD's etc etc.

SO I'M OLD AND CYNICAL!!!

------------------
    Politicians are like nappies (diapers!) - they need to be changed regularly, and for exactly the same reason.

Come visit <a href="http://www.lowlandgroup.co.uk" target="_blank">www.lowlandgroup.co.uk</a> and see what we do - jump to a Dumfries community site from us

Cool

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    Uh, what does all this have to do with the question?
    </font>
    The way the question was worded I thought he wanted to upgrade to Win 98 from a 95 machine.

------------------
    At the end of the day, it's all fundamental.....

Ya_know

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Format_It:
    Is there anyway to stop the Upgrade CD from asking for the Win95 CD? I threw all my old Win95 CD's because I didn't think I would need them, being that we were going to go to Windows 2000. But one machine can't be upgraded so I want to reinstall 98 but I only have the upgrade version. Is there a way to change the setup.ini file so it doens't ask for verification?

Thanks,

</font>
    The setup from the 98 upgrade will install clean, just like a full 98 install. However during some point of the initial installation, it will require that you insert a media form of a Windows OS for simple validation. Windows 3.1 disks will work, a 95 CD will work,I don't know if a DOS 6.22 will work, probably not is my guess. Try to get another copy of any of the 95 disks from someone you know. It isn't a copyright violation to have a 95 CD, or even a burned copy, without a license. As long as it isn't installed anywhere, and you have the 98 upgrade licenses you will be fine.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ya_know (edited October 02, 2001).]

Andi

Try making two Blank ASCII files named win386.exe and gdi.exe on the C drive prior to installation,works for W95 upgrade may work for W98

------------------
    Life is always stranger than fiction ..... and then some

Format_It

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Lowland:
    Never make you suspicious when a "professional" says "We threw away the old disks......."

Makes me think of another scenario... unlicenced software!!! I have never come across a legit set-up throwing away software. Mislaying, having it stolen, maybe, but even then we encourage back-ups, ERD's etc etc.
    </font>
    yeah...ya know...it happens sometimes...not everyone is as experienced as yourself...but don't fret...i cleaned up my work area and i found a windows 95 cd. i had thrown out over 100 copies of windows 95 last year because i thought the version of 98 we had was a full version...

i've never had to reinstall it until this week and i have a copy of 95/98 on the server but no cd-burner and my network boot disk dwasn't working...and on the unlicenced note...we are a multi-billion dollar company and we have site licences...i just didn't have a hard copy of windows 95...but like i say...not everyone is perfect...not even yourself lowland...there must of been something "dumb" you've done before...and for me...this was one of them...

------------------
    If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0

[This message has been edited by Format_It (edited October 03, 2001).]

gmiller220

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
    The way the question was worded I thought he wanted to upgrade to Win 98 from a 95 machine.
    </font>
    No the way it was worded was how does he install 98 WITHOUT installing 95 because all he has is the 98 Upgrade and not the full install

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.