[RESOLVED] AGP problems with ASUS P5A-B board & NT4

Thread: [RESOLVED] AGP problems with ASUS P5A-B board & NT4

H-Bomber

AGP problems with ASUS P5A-B board & NT4

I have been having an enormous amount of trouble trying to configure this machine to work but nothing seems to work. Firstly, the motherboard has the latest bios revision, 1006, the AGP card I am using is also an ASUS card, the V3400 TNT 8MB SGRAM. I feel that there is no AGP support for NT4 from this motherboard, but would like someone to confirm this. The Asus site has miniport drivers for AGP but only for Win 95/98 no NT4. I have also tried using other video cards, such as a Diamond Viper 550 TNT 8MB and also a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB (using intel 740 chipset) but all produce similiar problems. Does anyone have any ideas if this is something to do with NT4, the motherboard, or the graphics card ..... or even "all of the above". Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

At home I am running NT4 with service pack 4 installed, an Asus P5A-B motherboard (BIOS v1006), and a Diamond Monster Fusion (Voodoo Banshee chip) 16 MB AGP video card. The video card installed without any problems and I have it set to 1024x768 and true color. I haven't even installed any of the Asus AGP drivers. Do you have SP4 installed? I set up three NT4 workstations the other day with AGP cards. I could not get the video cards to display above 16 color until I installed service pack 4.

I hope this helps,

Steve
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

H-Bomber
    Thanks for the reply Steve, but I have already installed service pack 4 on the machine. Do you have any other ideas, I have tried searching through the message board on the Asus and have noted a couple of other people experiencing problems with TNT cards and NT4, but it is strange since the Diamond Stealth II card didnt work either. I have tried Asus drivers and also drivers from Nvidia but still no luck. After setting up the video card in VGA mode and rebooting the machine hangs and during the blue screen boot up of NT4 I also get errors and NT performs memory dumps. Any further help appreciated, thanks.

Darren Wilson
    I have had this problem also with the P5-A boards. It seems to bge down to the RivaTNT chipset requiring 8v current from the AGP slot. Currently the only chipsets that I have found to suply this required voltage are the Intel BX & GX chipsets. Other chipsets require a wire taken from the card to the motherboard. It is not an easy job to do though. This info came form Asus Tech Support when I had the exact problem on a P2L97 motherboard. You do not get this problem though with a Matrox G200 for some reason.

The Giga-Byte GA5-AX for some reason does not have this problem yet it runs the same Ali V chipset. Strange but True!!!!

------------------
    Who got game???? I know I do!!!!!!!

visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

Darren Wilson
    I have had this problem also with the P5-A boards. It seems to bge down to the RivaTNT chipset requiring 8v current from the AGP slot. Currently the only chipsets that I have found to suply this required voltage are the Intel BX & GX chipsets. Other chipsets require a wire taken from the card to the motherboard. It is not an easy job to do though. This info came form Asus Tech Support when I had the exact problem on a P2L97 motherboard. You do not get this problem though with a Matrox G200 for some reason.

The Giga-Byte GA5-AX for some reason does not have this problem yet it runs the same Ali V chipset. Strange but True!!!!

------------------
    Who got game???? I know I do!!!!!!!

visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

H-Bomber
    Darren,

Thanks for the info, I couldnt find any of that information on the Asus site (must be trying to hide it Anyway I found that disabling the AGP turbo from the bios seemed to get the card to work, although at a cost of speed im sure. What sort of speed decrease would disabling the AGP turbo producee? I didnt even know you could disable the AGP turbo until it was recommended from the tech guys where the card was bought.