lost cd-rom

Thread: lost cd-rom

Post lost cd-rom

i cannot find my cd-rom,the drive letter
    has suddenly vanish.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

first thing to do. check in device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks under hard disk controllers.
    Also, it is possible to reinstall windows without going thru the install of win95 than the upgrade to win98. after you format your drive install the win98 upgrade disk. when it asks for your win95 directory insert your win95 disk and navigate to the win95 folder on it. that way you get a clean, full install of win98.(note: this will not work with certain "recovery" cd's that are provided instead of full win95 cd's"

[This message has been edited by techs (edited October 31, 2000).]
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

pga

did you scan for a MBR virus?

3fingersalute

Does the BIOS POST see it?....Can it be accessed with DOS drivers?

If yes to the above, you probably have an IDE controller running in MS-Compatibitly mode for whatever reason, you will need to start looking for what's causing the compatibility mode.

If no to the above, you got faulty hardware, either the controller, cable or a dead drive!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Micrsoft will crash on the way there!!!

bor_yam

Start computer in safe mode. Then go into device manager. Look at your cd drivers to see if your have multiple drivers installed. If so, remove them , restart, then reinstall them in normal mode. That sould fix your problem.