[RESOLVED] Microsoft Libraries

Thread: [RESOLVED] Microsoft Libraries

Jim McDonald

Resolved [RESOLVED] Microsoft Libraries

I'm using windows98 with an AND2 K6 400mhz and a S1590S Tyan motherboard. Recently, I did a live update from Microsoft via the internet. I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Libraries and rebooted my computer. Since then, my Outlook Express doesn't work anymore, it wiped out my cdrom drivers, made my modem quit working, changed my colors to 16 colors and messed up my system in general. I have everything back now except my outlook express still doesn't work and I can't make a new folder. The problem has to do with Explorer. Any ideas anyone? Help would be greatly appreciated!

PanFried
    Jim,

Have you tried uninstalling the update yet?
    If so, or if you don't feel like it, you should be able to fix it per the instructions below.

Go into Add/Remove programs, and click the Windows Setup tab. Find Outlook Express, and remove the checkmark beside it. Apply the changes. It may have you reboot the system. Once this process is complete, re-apply the check next to Outlook, and close out of there. You will need your Win98 cd (or location of the .cabs)and it should reinstall the appropriate files for you. As far as I know, you will have to reconfigure outlook, and you may loose your current messages.

If that doesn't work for you, what I would recommend is download the Internet Explorer 5 beta, and it will have an updated version of Outlook Express.

PanFried

Jim McDonald
    You're right Panfried! I did exactly what you suggested and Outlook Express works again! Even still have my address book somehow, thanks!