[RESOLVED] PB600 Floppy drive problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] PB600 Floppy drive problem

JIMHOWARD

PB600 Floppy drive problem

This Packard Bell machine was apparently running fine until the user decided to convert Drive C: to FAT 32 using the Windows 98 Converter.

He did a complete reinstall of Windows 98 thinking that it would improve his system. That's when I got a call.

SYMPTOMS: Windows Protection Error.
    Boots OK into Safe Mode. I disable 32-bit access, etc. and the system now boots OK into Windows 98, but obviously all drives are in Compatability mode.

I removed all cards (sound and network) and the same error occurs if I try to enable 32-bit again.

I visited the PB support site and thought that there might be some upgrades. I downloaded the flash BIOS program and set up a bootable diskette on another PC. When I tried to boot the PC in question, Drive A: failed to operate.... And, after checking the CMOS (it was OK) and changing to a known good floppy drive, I determined that, even though the CMOS was set up for Drive A: 1.44 3.5", I could boot the PC and go to Command Prompt Only and lo and behold, I could access my floppy, BUT AS DRIVE B: >>>

Geez, I hate these PB machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... this guy is a royal PIA but he's a good customer.

------------------
    ICCo Systems, Web Pages that WORK... http://iccosys.networkcarolina.com

maybe you know this stuff but just in case...

1> did you go in in SAFE mode and check all categories of devices in device manager for duplicates\wrong devices and remove if any?

2>did you see if there is a swap floppy drive setting in the cmos that is mistakenly enabled , and check that cable is on correctly (connector after the twist for a: usually)
    good luck

[This message has been edited by JeanneD (edited May 26, 1999).]
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"