Thinkpad 600E Bios Reset Serial #

Thread: Thinkpad 600E Bios Reset Serial #

Thinkpad 600E Bios Reset Serial #

Anyone know how to change the serial number in a Thinkpad 600E. Client wants to sell a couple but doesn't wnat future support calls on their account.

Steve Zap
    Well... As you should know, there is no point to a serial number on a machine if it can be changed. In fact, it is illegal. It was put there for a reason and if there is a way to change it, that also is illegal.

If they are worried about tech support bills on their account, you can call IBM Tech Support at 1-800-666-3997 and request that your serial number(s) no longer show up under your account.

-Steve Zap

Actually, I found out that the serial number update is handled with the bios update disk. It is just handled a little different than other IBM line.

As far as legality & support. These particular systems are not supported by IBM. Much in the same way you have to go to the OEM to get Windows help. I was referring to the contract with the vendor.

As far as changing the serial number on a system. That is very easy to do, and a function built into most of the IBM bios updates, the FIRST question that it asks is do you want to change the serial number, and then model number of a system. Changing a serial number may be unethical, but removing it is not. I should have noted that we change the number to XXXXXXXXX.

Smart company's routinely remove the serial or traceable numbers from surplus product when they want to be sure they are sold as-is.

BTW, IBM bios update disks are available on their site, in the support area of the specific model.