Netscape Problem

Thread: Netscape Problem

Post Netscape Problem

A friend has a recent version of Netscape on his PC that he claims is hoogging his CPU to the point where the whole PC boggs down. Anyone have similar experience? If so, is there a fix? PS-he is running Win98SE
    Thanks in advance.
    "While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior"

I wish I had a real troubleshooting response for you, but I'll go the Mr.Jimmr route and recommend the customer switch to Internet Explorer instead of Netscape. Netscape was the browser of choice for a long time, now I am slowly removing Netscape off of all my office's workstations and installing IE instead. Way too many problems and as a network admin, I have enough stuff to deal with - I can't deal with buggy software!

Nutscrape 6 is simply a program that consumes resources...has nothing to do with your friend's computer if he's using version 6. Same with WMP7.

I recommend just using IE.

Cool

Originally posted by Insane Monkey:
    Nutscrape 6 is simply a program that consumes resources...has nothing to do with your friend's computer if he's using version 6. Same with WMP7.

I recommend just using IE.

I AGREE! ...but WMP7 has some nice features... that excuses its RESOURCES EATING BEHAIVOR!

Netscape 6 is cool if you have the syetm to run it. I would go with IE. Its a whole lot "cooler" and not so picky when it comes to html. I dont know why Netscape would be so strict on its html usage..it cant do marquee or any cool page transitions IE can do.

Bottom Line=====Get Internet Explorer
    le blog de goodespeler - bandape.com

BTW, by using NetsCrap, you're sorta supporting AOL which is a pile of caca too because AOL owns NetsCrap.
    Hello World

Lightbulb

Originally posted by arjay:
    A friend has a recent version of Netscape on his PC that he claims is hoogging his CPU to the point where the whole PC boggs down. Anyone have similar experience?
    No - I've always used Netscape with Win98SE and never had any problems like that.

When does the problem occur? If it's with newsgroups when using the reader then you need to adjust the preferences to purge old messages. Try adjusting it from keeping (eg) 10 days worth of messages to 5 days instead.

If it's with the browser then you may want to again set the cache to use less disk space as the browser will spend more time indexing the files on the disk to find a cached copy than downloading it from the net!
    Adjust the disk cache down to something like 5Mb and bring the memory cache down too.

Don't forget that NS has been screwed over with AOL, so it automatically tries to run things like AOL Instant Messenger, the NS Quality Reporting Tool and WinAmp which will all hog system resources. Kill these (unless you're really using them) and clean the entries from the SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run keys (in both HK_LOCAL and HK_USER) in the registry as they're an arse to get rid of.

I believe that the SmartUpdate (in NS preferences) will also try to contact "home" and check for updates - try switching this off as well.

If it's still happening, it may be something else that's causing your problems so get hold of WinTop which is one of the MS Kernel Toys. This is like the Task Manager in NT that shows you which processes are hogging the CPU resources and will help you track it down.

Good luck!
    I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
    than screaming in terror like his passengers.
    Jim Harkins
    <a href="http://www.Horrible.Demon.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.Horrible.Demon.co.uk/</a>

Cool

Personally, I prefer Opera as my main browser, it is faster and more reliable than Netscape. I only use IE for any sites that have problems in Opera.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Cool

I recently loaded ver6, and while it had some cool features, it took longer to load, and didn't react as quickly. Fortunately, I still had my trusty version 4.7 installed. The wife likes the bells and whistles of 6, and I prefer the simple effectiveness of 4.7.

Someone posted some excellent advice. Get rid of the portions of version 6 that you don't want/need. It's better than the alternative of being FORCED to use IE!

(Nothing against IE, but I rebel when people tell me I HAVE to use something!)
    "You must bring us - An Shrubbery!"

Originally posted by Geek #1:
    Personally, I prefer Opera as my main browser, it is faster and more reliable than Netscape. I only use IE for any sites that have problems in Opera.
    Like with Java, right? Mee too. But for the Netscape question. I'm with the other gent that recommended just installing the features you'd use. I use IE, but that doesn't mean you need to switch to it just because people say you SHOULD. But, try downgrading to a earlier version also (if possible).
    Donegal Sixth Brigade
    Scrappin' clanners off the bottom of our mech's feet.

Netscape 6 is a big giant java resource hog. Never install it and if you have installed it, then uninstall it immediately.
    Hello World