[RESOLVED] Security levels too high can't online bank, etc
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Security levels too high can't online bank, etc

DATABOY

Unhappy Security levels too high can't online bank, etc

Suddenly I can't go online banking, pay credit cards etc on any site needing 128 bit encryption....I HAVE THAT! I can't even go to windows updates it says my security levels are too high for this active x download...they are set to medium/low and I shut down Zonealarm! Can you help me on this one??????

Do you have a cable modem? We had a customer the other day on Shaw @Home who had a similar problenm, we were pulling out our hair for two days before we discovered that unchecking "Use a proxy server (control Panel - Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings)" cured it.
    Flash! Don't heckle the supervillain!

DATABOY

I have DSL and will have to check that out when I get home.........any other ideas???

Yes, most likely you have your internet security settings changed in your browser. Go into internet options, then security, then custom level, then restore to default. You might also want to restore the advanced tab to default as well. Also it is possible a firewall is blocking you, but it is unlikely. You could try to boot into safe mode to getaround your firewall, as I hear that Zonealarm is a bit more tricky to fully disable.

DATABOY

Nope none of that worked......help gotta pay my bills!!!!!

Try this, happened to me a few weeks ago and got this idea from MS and it worked.
    Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down to the Security section.
    Clear the Use PCT 1.0 selection.
    Clear the Use TLS 1.0 selection.
    Click OK.
    Microsoft also stated if you have IE 5.5 to make sure that service pack 1 is installed. Also just to warn you the reason the settings were changed in my case was the machine was infected with the mtx virus.

are you using IE6 ?

many sites don't support IE6 for secure connections ...

I've had the same problem with my online banking - had to go back to IE 5.5 ..

they say they don't support Beta browsers..

they havea poit.

DATABOY

Cool

thanx again for the help....i tried to download ie5.5 again but can't due to the security problem again....it says the levels are too high for active x.etc.....i think ie5.5 is corrupted i tried to "fix" it but i hit a wall everytime so i installed netscape navigator and can access my "secure banking" areas...but can't windows update still.............

hmmm. download IE 5.5 through netscape. You most likely have a firewall or Ie is messed up. Good Luck!
    le blog de goodespeler - bandape.com

If you happen to have the Office 2000 disk, you can install IE 5.0 and then upgrade. (Browse and look for the IE folder)

DATABOY

I downloaded IE5.5 thru Netscape but it's still screwed up....same "security too high" although it's not...cannot figure it out

Wink

Did you uninstall version 6 using add/remove. Then try repairing 5.5 through the add/remove programs.

I would say you should uninstall all IE versions installed and get back to the originally installed version of IE to hopefully get rid of the 128bit version (for normal home use you typically don't need 128bit anyway. That's mainly for SSL sites for network business use.) Then install 5.01 and both SP's (1 & 2.) I don't usually go any higher than that on a 98 PC because I noticed 98 doesn't work too well with IE 5.5+. And also, I would recommend uninstalling Netscape because it's worthless junk taking up HDD space.
    Hello World

I think your setup is screwd..

try this :

open regedit:

delete these Keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\policies\Ratings

reboot and try again..

DATABOY

Unhappy

For the last two suggestions....I cannot uninstall IE5.5 it won't let me there is no option for it...just to "repair it". Then it says CANNOT REPAIR IE5.5!!!! It's driving me nuts and that is a short drive. As for going into Regedit..that scares me I've always been warned not to play there or I'll get really screwed up......????????????????????????