Ever seen a wscript error at startup on Win98?

Thread: Ever seen a wscript error at startup on Win98?

Post Ever seen a wscript error at startup on Win98?

I tried to work with an idiotic user who got a wscript error at startup. We updated his antivirus program, but the dufus won't return our calls or pages to let us know if he is still getting the error. Has anyone got an idea why a wscript error would happen at startup?
    God is all knowing, I am just human.

Angry

Originally posted by WesFlash:
    I tried to work with an idiotic user...

why you say that? YOU as TECH can not say an user is idiot or not, because he doesn't know how to solve computer(IT) problems(even if they are fool or easy ones)... just see that even YOU are asking us for HELP(so can we think you are IDIOT? We are here on EARTH! to serve USERS and solve(if we can) their problems...

Forgive me for not spelling out why I used the term idiotic. When a user calls for help, you attempt to help them through phone conversations and they get what they want they are happy, right? Well, we open a ticket on the problem and e-mail, leave voice messages, pages, etc. for them to call back to tell us if the problem is fixed and they refuse to call. What's worse, is they go in hiding for days or even weeks before we can spot them connected to the network due to their traveling ways. I work in a building servicing technicians across the country. When most of your users are so scattered and non-desk bound, they make solving problems incredibly difficult because you must harrass some of them to get them to contact you to even try to help them, not to mention finding out what the status on a problem is. This is frustrating, and the user continues to do what he or she wants, regardless of the fact that he or she way have a potentially bad problem starting. I have seen the rammifications from the top levels when one of these people lose hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work because they are too stubborn to do the right thing and respond to our request. That last sentence should make the term used earlier seem less than it did before.

Cool

Sounds like you could use a vacation.
    Sometimes the most difficult problems have the most obvious solutions - they just get overlooked.

Cool

Originally posted by WesFlash:
    Forgive me for not spelling out why I used the term idiotic. When a user calls for help, you attempt to help them through phone conversations and they get what they want they are happy, right? Well, we open a ticket on the problem and e-mail, leave voice messages, pages, etc. for them to call back to tell us if the problem is fixed and they refuse to call. What's worse, is they go in hiding for days or even weeks before we can spot them connected to the network due to their traveling ways. I work in a building servicing technicians across the country. When most of your users are so scattered and non-desk bound, they make solving problems incredibly difficult because you must harrass some of them to get them to contact you to even try to help them, not to mention finding out what the status on a problem is. This is frustrating, and the user continues to do what he or she wants, regardless of the fact that he or she way have a potentially bad problem starting. I have seen the rammifications from the top levels when one of these people lose hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work because they are too stubborn to do the right thing and respond to our request. That last sentence should make the term used earlier seem less than it did before.
    Im sorry too! mate!... (last post edited)

I understand... but we can not go out telling that our users are ANNOYING US!

that is our DIRTY job!

Back to the original question....

I believe you were correct in having the user update virus defs. Sounds like it could be wscript.kak.worm or something similar.

Of course, I can imagine your frustration, because they probably found the virus and deleted it with the virus scanning software, but may not realize that the AV software doesn't usually repair damage done by the virus. Oh well, as long as you take the steps necessary in attempting to help the user, you're doing the best you can do.
    Sometimes the most difficult problems have the most obvious solutions - they just get overlooked.

KAK was my first guess, but it isn't kak. If it were, I am fairly good at identifying it and removing it manually, which says alot about AV protection for the users. Anyway, after that, I checked tech net with no hits to mention. If only I were a network GOD so I could justify locking the user's account out to get them to phone home for help. For now, I am a lowly help desk analyst with nothing to do but to continue to cheerfully leave more messages until this person surfaces.