[RESOLVED] 4 beeps on Tyan MB

Thread: [RESOLVED] 4 beeps on Tyan MB

Printer1

4 beeps on Tyan MB

I have a Tyan MB with a Pent MMX 166 with 64 meg of ram and a 4.3 gig WD HD. I was running Win95 with no problem. I reformatted my HD & tried to install Win98. It installs all the way until it gets to the part of detecting any PnP hardware. It goes through that process then says that it is gonna restart the puter. It goes to restart and it gets to the Win98 screen, I hear 4 beeps & then it locks. I have reformatted & reloaded the system about 4 times with the same result. It will go into Safe Mode but I can't see any problems. It had EZ Drive on it before but I uninstalled it. I even went as far as putting the new EZ Drive on but the same thing. Any suggestions????

Try turning off your "Win95 OS Installed" or "PNP Operating System" in the PNP/PCI area in your BIOS.

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

Darren Wilson
    reinstall Win98 but take the cd out after the first reboot.

When windows finally finishes setting up uncheck the DMA box in device manager then restart .

You should be alright then

------------------
    Who got game???? I know I do!!!!!!!

visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

Printer1
    I tried both of those things with no luck, any other ideas?????

Steve Zap
    Seeing as this was caused after a format, and you also can get into safe mode, tells me this is not a motherboard problem.

Go to Safe Mode and check your device manager. If you have ANY icons that have a yellow !, click on them, then click remove. This will allow Windows to reinstall the device. If you have any under the heading "Other Devices" (If it exists on your machine) Do the same thing. Be sure to have a BIG stack of recent drivers for all your hardware.

If you have no problems in Device Manager, you may want to try troubleshooting a memory problem. If you have more than one bank of memory installed, try removing one and rebooting. If that does not work, remove another bank and replace it with the first bank you removed. Continue untill you have excluded any RAM problems. If you have a spare video card, try swapping it to test. Your video card may be crapping out when it needs to do the higher refresh rate for the windows portion.

If none of the above apply, or fix the problem, try booting your machine, getting the F8 menu wher eyou can select Safe Mode, but instead, select Step-by-step confirmation. This will tell you every little thing it is loading during the boot-up process and even ask if you want to load it. Follow this until you get your beeps. Whatever the last thing it executed was is probably your culprit. If it happens after you say Yes to "Process Windows Registry" then you may want to delete your registry and replace it with a blank one. To do this, boot to safe mode and find the system.dat file in your Windows directory. Delete it. Find the System.1st in your root directory of C: and copy it to your windows directory, then rename it to System.dat. Both of these files are hidden, read-only, system files, so you will have to undo those to rename it. If you see a User.dat file in your Windows directory (Also hidden,sys,read-only), rename it to anything BUT user.dat. Reboot your machine and it should come up just fine. If you have any questions, please contact me here.

Keep us up-to-date as to the status !
    -Steve Zap