[RESOLVED] Cards

Thread: [RESOLVED] Cards

Roderick Trottie

Cards

I have a Matsonic Motherboard,whenever i add
    new cards(upgrade)for example modem and video
    card. My computer will not boot up.Both my
    isa and pci slots give me this reaction.i have to put the old cards back in to get my
    computer to work. please help.

Steve Zap
    Are you upgrading more than one piece of hardware at a time ? If so, don't

If you are upgrading anything other than a video card, does this still happen ? Try leaving your original video card in there when you upgrade this other hardware instead of a new one. Do you still have the problem ? If you still have the probelm it sounds like you may have a I/O or IRQ conflict with these devices. Try removing one or two alltogether and booting up again. Does this fix it ? You may also want to check your BIOS to see if it is reserving any memory (I/O) or Interrupts (IRQ) for any of these cards. If all else fails, remove all ISA cards and PCI cards and insert ONLY the new PCI (Or AGP) video card, then try again. Be sure, also, to check all cards for jumpers related to IRQ or I/O addresses. Try changing them if you determine one specific card is the problem. Finish by inserting all ISA cards first, one-by-one, rebooting the machine everytime you add a card. After all of your ISA cards are in, do the PCI cards, also one-by-one. This will allow your machine to more efficiently assign resources to these cards and minimise comflicts. If the machine, again, has no video when you insert one of the cards, then you know which is causing the problem. Check this card for jumpers, and find out what they do. If it has IRQ or I/O jumpers, try changing them. Any other jumpers, refer to your manual t see if they are realavant to this problem.

Good Luck !

-Steve Zap