A7M266 w/ 1.4 Athalon, possible ??

Thread: A7M266 w/ 1.4 Athalon, possible ??

Post A7M266 w/ 1.4 Athalon, possible ??

Folks do you know if you can use a 1.4 on a Asus A7M266 board the spec's say 550MHz ~ 1GHz+ CPU, uhhh what exactly does the + mean. Bios settings in book max out at 1.2, I sure would like to save some cash in just upgrading the chip verses getting a new mobo.

can someone save me some dough here.

Thanks,

Jdub
    3POINTWEB Biz Services
    909-899-0728 (OFFICE)
    909-292-2245 (FAX)

you shouldn't have any trouble upgrading to 1.4 GHz

but do make sure you have the latest BIOS and also that you're using an AMD approved Power supply for the 1.4 Tbird and an approved CPU cooler..

Dante

I had the new BIOS (1004A) already installed when it was shipped to me. All I had to do was install the processor and heatsink, then change the BIOS bus setting to 133MHz.

I don't think I did a good job on the heatsink since it registered at 97F and hit 101F before I turned it off. It shouldn't be that high, I don't think.

I'm going to check in an A7M forum and find out.

pakprotector

104°F is fine, start to worry at 140°-150°F. Besides if you are using the ASUS Probe Utility it reads 15°F high. MBM5 gives a more accurate reading.

------------------
    Who were the beta testers for Preparations A through G?

Dante

I read about the ASUS mobo giving a high reading. Still, that was only from the BIOS with a half decent heatsink, which I am planning on replacing, and excellent airflow. I'll look into MBM5, thanks.