ATI Rage IIC

Thread: ATI Rage IIC

Unhappy ATI Rage IIC

My colleague has just re-installed an NT workstation. When he installed the video drivers he rebooted and got the following error:

The currently selected display settings are no longer valid because the number of colors is too small.

He can only select 640x480 16 colours, service pack 6a is installed.

I’ve looked in TechNet (nothing) and Google (only a Polish message board posting).

Any help would be appreciated.

Humm, now that you mention it...

I've 2 NT servers here which show a "ATI 3D RAGE IIC AGP" card with the same driver version numbers (5.2.040, 4.00). One has the "+DVD" chipset.

At 800x600, they don't go higher than 65536 colors while at 1024x768, 256 colors seems to max it out.

These are lower end ATI 2Mb cards, from what I gather.

I don't think you can squeeze anything more than that out of them.

Make sure you get the latest (and correct) drivers, though.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Okay Mike,

That special driver i was pm'ing you about....i'm still looking for it. I'm thinkin' though, since it would be very old, I can't imagine ATI not integrating the "special" part of it in their current drivers. I would think, although I can't guarantee it, that there most current driver should do the trick... Here is a link to ATI's site where the current driver is located. I'll keep looking for that original driver just incase, but I guess in the mean time, if you haven't already, you could try this link:

<a href="http://support.ati.com/products/pc/rageiic/rageiic_drivers.html" target="_blank">http://support.ati.com/products/pc/rageiic/rageiic_drivers.html</a>

Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions. Either post'em or pm'em.
    I'd rather be fly-fishing.....

Mike,

I now have the driver file I was telling you about. If you want it, PM me and we can arrange something.

Jake
    I'd rather be fly-fishing.....