Creating a quick restore disk with the aid of Ghost
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Creating a quick restore disk with the aid of Ghost

Post Creating a quick restore disk with the aid of Ghost

hello guys
    i am trying to create a quick restore disk for windows xp
    can i somehow compress this into 1 or 2 cd's can someone give me tips
    any advice would be appreciated

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lucien:
    <strong>hello guys
    i am trying to create a quick restore disk for windows xp
    can i somehow compress this into 1 or 2 cd's can someone give me tips
    any advice would be appreciated</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">well, to make your restore set, creat a boot disk that will have CDrom support and the ghost utility, also make a script file that norton can read to do the autorestore. Then creat your image, burn it straight to CD, and when it asks for a disk, use the one you just created. May take a few tries, but you should be able to get it working.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Banned

load ghoast 200(2) on your machine , and make a boot disk - it will use pc-dos )as xp has no dos support) ,,test the disk !!!! ,,,clean your xp up - i always remove restore , and defrag.

boot from your floppy , and run ghost , choose cd-r as destination.

it will ask if u want bootable -say yes , it will read your floppy.

under compression , say high , you can get >1.7 gig on a 80 min cdr ,,if u want to test compression tech out then point it to another drive to see how large.

as an alternative , get a 98 boot disk from <a href="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_blank">www.bootdisk.com</a> and edit it so as to have cd-r drivers only ,and a copy of ghostpe and then burn using nero as a bootable cd-r.

i use this method on all machines i build , It will restore to "origional~" ,,,as it left my w/shop. 10 mins work and 1 blank disk = $ saved.

u can also use this idea to change from xp to 2k /98 in about 6 mins. remember u do NOT have to fdisk/format with ghost.

good luck

FtF

If you had Drive Image 2002 and a faster than 8X CDRW you could crank out restore CD's like nothing! Drive Image 2002 rocks. I totally recommend it over Ghost.
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

Banned

the question was "Creating a quick restore disk with the aid of Ghost" ,,,,so i don,t think advising on other progs , is an assistance in this case.

ghost copies "very" quickly on the average 24-40 speed ide recorder .

FtF

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>the question was "Creating a quick restore disk with the aid of Ghost" ,,,,so i don,t think advising on other progs , is an assistance in this case.

ghost copies "very" quickly on the average 24-40 speed ide recorder .

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">But if the man has too many problems with Ghost, I just gave him some info on a very nice program.

Sheesh! No wonder I usually stay out of the tech forums and not offer any advice.

All I was trying to do was offer up a differant prospective.

Banned

sorry i did,nt mean to bite your %ollocks off ,,

every time i look at questions ,ie what do you think of XX hsf ,,,thirty people will say "it,s a load of $rap use a yy i do "and it rocks" !!!

again apologies , i just read it and fired back , because i had gone out of my way to explane (as was explained to me on this forum) the "easiest" and quickest way with the obvious options outlined.

alan

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by freddy:
    <strong>sorry i did,nt mean to bite your %ollocks off ,,

every time i look at questions ,ie what do you think of XX hsf ,,,thirty people will say "it,s a load of $rap use a yy i do "and it rocks" !!!

again apologies , i just read it and fired back , because i had gone out of my way to explane (as was explained to me on this forum) the "easiest" and quickest way with the obvious options outlined.

alan</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry if I bit back.

The thing about Drive Image 2002, when it burns the CD, it makes the first CD bootable without an effort.

Drive Image 2002 seems to me a quicker and more straight and to the point program

Banned

i havnt tried drive image ,cos my boss gave me ghost 2002 ,,up to that point i had been using ghost 5? , and it was hard work , sticking a spare drive in the machine and ghosting to it then copying back to orig and burning with nero.

since 2002 its a doddle , and even has a mouse!!!

I would be intrested if anyone knows the ghost switches and where to put them.

ie boot from cd-rom , 1 question "do you want to overwrite" y/n press enter , at the moment it is hard to explain to customers what to do. u almost have to have it up on your own machine to talk them thru it.

cheers

FtF

<strong>i havnt tried drive image ,cos my boss gave me ghost 2002 ,,up to that point i had been using ghost 5? , and it was hard work , sticking a spare drive in the machine and ghosting to it then copying back to orig and burning with nero.

since 2002 its a doddle , and even has a mouse!!!

I would be intrested if anyone knows the ghost switches and where to put them.

ie boot from cd-rom , 1 question "do you want to overwrite" y/n press enter , at the moment it is hard to explain to customers what to do. u almost have to have it up on your own machine to talk them thru it.

cheers

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I guess that is where your DOS skills get polished up because there are ways I know for Ghost AS WELL as Drive Image to auto start the restore except for maybe pressing that infamous "Anykey" to start the restore process.

Banned

agreed !!!! any other techs care to assist myself and the origional poster (sorry forgot his name) with this "simple" task

cheers

FtF

<strong>agreed !!!! any other techs care to assist myself and the origional poster (sorry forgot his name) with this "simple" task

cheers

FtF</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll dig into the scripting commands of ghost later. i think it will be a matter of creating an autoexec.bat with the proper EXE name and switchs to get the restore to start without prompting. Once that is done, the above steps should work well.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I too use ghost multicast server for all backups here at my house. my pc runs ghost server when needed and we just dump all the data to one of my storage partitions. I too though do make bootable cd's of the image.
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

just a FYI. I recently had some trouble using PC DOS when using ghost 2002. It would hang up at 2GB when creating the image even though there was 8GB free. Problem went away when I booted with MS-DOS. Of course if burning to CD you wouldn't experience this issue.

thanks for the tips
    i was waiting in my mailbox for responses
    didnt realise i would have to return here to check
    thanks again