An Asus A7M and too much beer, a sad tale..

Thread: An Asus A7M and too much beer, a sad tale..

Post An Asus A7M and too much beer, a sad tale..

Got home from pub a month or so back and decided to fit my new CDRW for my old. Bit drunk, bad judgment. Too little fear or care. Didnt bother to unplug the PC. Forgot even to turn wall sckt off.
    Tried to boot: blank screen......
    Cleared CMOS, reseated everything and checked all jumpers, cables etc... (the next morning). Still nothing.
    Bought new mobo, trasfered everything over and everything works fine.
    Any suggestions on the A7M anyone???
    'We apoligise for the inconvienience' Gods final message to his creations.

Sounds like the A7M has gone to rest, LOL. Rule of thumb for me anyways is computer parts first celebration second.....
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Unfortunately, it may be fried south bridge chipset - that chip is responsible for IDE controller. Kinda hard to identify that fault distantly and without POST card.
    Once again,it may be damaged BIOS chip - after power surge,caused by wrong connection.

But You can try to use that BIOS chip for Your Soltek motherboard. Check size and package compatibility of both of chips,though.
    (If You have trouble to identify that chip,You can ask me for help...)

All You need in that case - is only reflash that chip with BIOS for Soltek (what You're looking for) - it will be much more cheaper then. If that chip is really has gone,when motherboard most likely is survived, and only that chip should be replaced. It's only my assumings,though...

Anyway,IMHO,worth to try to send that chip to badflash.com .
    Sorry,I cann't say anything about Your local repair shop/service centers...

hi, been all around where I live, noone can help with BIOS flashing or even getting chips. One guy even looked at me like I'm a moron and suggested 'they only come as part of a motherboard' and he was a guy working on them out the back. Argh.
    What I'm going to do, as I am trying to learn to be a techie, is try and get one of the mobo's Ruslan suggested for hot swaping operation.
    Will post a note if I have trouble getting info on type of BIOS chip needed.
    Thanks for input everyone...

Vapd, if it's less than a year old you could just take it back to the shop and just say "Uh, it was working yesterday. I switched it on today and nothing happened..." Most people in your local computer shop, or even PC World, couldn't be arsed checking the board fully. Not that I would condone such behaviour ahem

I've thought about it. but didnt want to risk loseing board for spares/wasting postage if they found out, I got it from ebuyer.com who might be cheapest in uk but there returns dept is a bit notorious....

If you're teching and need to do bios reprogramming on a regular basis then try this.
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

Thanks for the pointer but whoa.. thats a little more than I can spend... especially as I dread what the price is in the UK...