[RESOLVED] Simple RAM/Cache test and system stability test.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Simple RAM/Cache test and system stability test.

johnvu

Simple RAM/Cache test and system stability test.

Run the system in safe mode to do a quick check on the system RAM/cache. Why? Because safe mode loads himem.sys which tests the memory.

Here's another cool test on the system RAM and system resources.

1. Goto the fonts folder in control panel.
    2. Select all the fonts and open them all up.
    3. Once they're all open, hold down alt-f4 to close them up one by one.
    4. Open and close all the fonts several times.
    5. When all the fonts are open, view your system resources.
    6. Also, try to shutdown your computer after you've opened and closed all the fonts a few times.

Although these two tests aren't absolutely indicative of how your system is going to run, it does however, put stress on the RAM and system resources. Which in turn, play a significant role in system stability.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

john vu ([email protected])

Macgyver V2
    That sounds cool. An alternative to opening a huge load of fonts, is to run Scandisk on all local drives, excluding floppies, and while browsing the network and formatting a 3.5 FDD.. This is a lite version, but it tests many things at once. IDE\FDD controller, and Network.. Try it and send me info on how it works..

gal
    run dir /s in 5 difrent windows

alioops
    well, guys, would love to try it, but I would have to be able to run one program at a time first, without it crashing, to trust my system enough to really push the ram, cache, or cpu. wish I could determine the exact cause of my problems..... cpu, ram, mb.... wish there was a good test topinpoint the problem.... oh, well..... test and go, I guess.... and then again, maybe it is just compatibility..

alicia

Hey alioops,
    Go to ZDNET and download winbench 99. You Don't need the the full ver. to get an idea where your problems are.
    See Ya

hey alioops -- general format for troubleshooting unstable computer:
    Check for proper CPU (and other) cooling
    Check power supply voltages (these are important, also note the +/-)
    make sure system isn't overclocked. (some people dont know when to stop)
    replace RAM
    replace CPU
    replace motherboard
    move on to other, more obscure problems.

sometimes power supply voltages cause wierd errors. i had one with no -12v signal that ran fine, but the amplifier on the soundcard didn't work. i've had others that ran unstable because of incorrect +/-5v signals. +/- 12 volt signals don't have to be too close, but the +/- 5 volts do.

SoccerFiend76

alioops:

before replacing ram/mainboard/cpu try these, it tends to be cheaper

try uninstalling all cards except for video

then add the cards one by one until you experience problems.

It is also possible (likely? given the nature of windows) that the OS is hosed and is just unstable. A large registry also does not seem to be healthy for your system. There was an interesting tip somewhere in these pages where you can delete your hardware list/history and essentially start from scratch with respect to hardware configs. I have not tested this myself but may still be a viable otion.

Also what kind of system specs? (older cyrix chips are notoriously unstable)

hope this helps,

Gustin

[This message has been edited by SoccerFiend76 (edited July 11, 1999).]

3fingersalute

try renaming you windows directory to winold or something at a DOS prompt, then installing a fresh copy of Windows, this way your data is still there, but software will need reloaded

------------------
    [email protected]

Okay, alioops, and SoccerFiend76, maybe my "general format for troubleshooting unstable computer" post was a bit abrupt because it is very likely that you have an o/s problem i.e. haven't installed the correct/most up-to-date patches for your hardware (maybe an AMD system? VIA, SIS, or FIC chipset MB? probably/definately need patches. check out the "bus mastering" section in the other/help area of the windriver main page.)

Like SoccerFiend76 said, an easy way to check for problems is to remove every card but video, and add em back in one at a time until you have found the problem.

This is also the method many AMD motherboard manufacturers reccomend. They want you to open your machine, remove everything but video, hard drive, and CD-ROM (please dont say "and keyboard" or "and CPU" We know. ) It dosen't hurt to clear the CMOS while youre thinking about it. Enter the BIOS setup, make sure that USB is ENABLED (they say to do this in VIA's Webpage) Install windows 98, do all the reboots, and on your first usable bootup, install the PCI bridge patch FIRST. this will make all your PCI and AGP devices work probperly. It will also install drivers for USB. Then do all the other patches, in what ever order you want. I think after the patches are complete, it is safe to disable USB again -- i dont know why it wouldn't be -- but don't quote me on that. If you are running an AMD cpu@350+Mhz, and win95, you will need another patch. Get it before you format, unless you have another computer.

After all sorts of software diagnostics, use my previous post as a loose guideline for troubleshooting unstable systems.