After three years... Problem solved.

Thread: After three years... Problem solved.

Post After three years... Problem solved.

For the past three years my father has had a computer problem. It seems every machine he owns is running DOS compatability mode. I have had to deal with his complaints constantly that his CD burner won't work. He says " Do you have better software?" or "This new Burner doesn't work either."

I have tried to fix the problem several times over the years but after 5 mion of troubleshooting he says "well, it's not a big deal, I just load a cd-rom driver and it all works except the burner. I think it's those copied Windows CD's that cause it. Let's go have a coffee."

I have asked on several occaissions, "Have you scanned this thing for Viruses??" His response? "Oh yeah, I have norton on every machine I have (no he doesn't) I scan the drives all the time (no he doesn't) they're all clean. I think it's those copied windows 95 CD's don't work right." So today after TG dinner, we wander out to the workshop and he's showing me this same problem all over again. But this time I have planned ahead. I had my laptop and an F-Prot disk. I boot the first machine wit F-Prot and "Bingo!!!" Stealthboot.c. CLeaned it off and started a second machine with it. Guess what?? That's right.

So, I put him to work scanning the rest of his junk, (none of them faster than a 300 cel) and I set about scanning his floppies, starting with the Win98 boot disks. Yep you guessed it. I went through about thirty disks, including his DOS 6.22 and Win3.11 and a few others, every single one of them are infected.

Now knowing that Dad has about 500 floppies and uses them all constantly shuttling stuff around, I say "well, looks like you got your work cut out for you for the next week, eh?"

I had been telling him for two years his workshop was cursed. It was. With stealthboot.c.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Interesting.

although I have had that message a few times on clients machines and can't remember what the problem or fix was but your senario doesn't ring any bells

PS. your dad is going to have one heck of a blister after inseting those floppies all day long.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

[quote]Originally posted by Danimal:
    <strong>Interesting.

PS. your dad is going to have one heck of a blister after inseting those floppies all day long. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Serves him right. Next time he'll know better.
    The Dragon has left the building.

Viruses and old device drivers in the config.sys are the most common causes of drives running in compatibility mode...
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

The floppy shuffle!
    Sofa King Retarded

Don't you hate it when they are scared to tell you that they forgot to follow your instructions?
    friends are forever!
    Remember those who perished

Registered User Commander Klarg's Avatar

[quote]Originally posted by Bracius:
    <strong>The floppy shuffle!</strong><hr></blockquote>

AKA The Sneaker Network!
    Here comes the revolution; time for the retribution.