Worst Ever - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Worst Ever

compaqman

IBM PS/1 386/sx 16MHz w/4MB RAM, 70MB HDD, Tseng ET3000 running OS/2 Warp 3.x

Nuff said

Oh, and the powers supply for the PC in this thing is in the monitor. Do I sense a lack of upgrade path... I tried for 3 months to get Sim City 2K for DOS to run on that POS (512KB VRAM)
    ------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.

[This message has been edited by compaqman (edited February 05, 2001).]

Khameleon

PCChips integrated mobo, Quantum Bigfoot HD, Windows Me. Include free AOL 6.0 with Netscape 6 and you've got a system that will work for two days out of the year!

------------------
    "You call it a new way of thinking...I call it professional ignorance." - Op Ivy - Take Warning

I want DIPPs RAM!!!

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

An IMAC. Maybe a Packard Bell Or an IBM Model 20.

StevePorter

Thumbs down

Woo-hoo...definitely an iFruit! And, AOL, the legal virus...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

exholt

Hmm....

a Cyrix 486dx chip, 32 megs FPM RAM, 500 meg HDD on ISA controller, 1 meg SVGA card from Hercules, all running win98SE and a 56k winmodem....

jimmr13

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sebass54:
    You would have to definitely use one of those piece of sh*t 5.25" Maxtor Bigfoot 2.5GB hard drives, and load Windows OSR0 on FAT 16 partitions of 2.1GB and 400MB.

Be sure to use an Aztech Pro 16 sound card from a Packard Bell system.

You want to run a 486/DX33 with no heatsink and load up on RAM with 16MB of 70ns FP SIMMs.

Get yourself a nice 512KB TSeng 4000 video card!

For multimedia you will want a Panasonic interface CDROM with a CD caddy.

Use a 2400 external Boca modem for Internet.

</font>
    Dude like it's a QUANTUM Bigfoot HD not Maxtor !

------------------
    If all else fails read the directions !

lycia69

When I was first getting into computers, my best freind at the time had a home built 486DX2/66. So I convinced my mom that we needed a pc. So my mom, being clueless, goes to Montgomery Wards, apparently she has a credit card there, and buys a Packard Bell 486SX33 FOR $1700 with printer!! This thing was crap!!! Almost 1 month after warranty expiration, which my mom refused to renew, the power supply started making noises. So, being new to computers, I called around for a new Power Supply, they tell me of course that Packard Bell is proprietary! So I call the place and it's almsot $100 for new one!! Argh!!

So I pulled out the PowerSupply, still hooked to motherboard, left it in the open. Talk about air cooled! This crappy thing ran for a few motnhs before I gave up on it. Oh and then mom finds that I have opened the case, breaking the seal, and say I voided the warrenty!!!! Almost 2 months AFTER the expiration!! My sister was still trying to use the thing almost 3 years later!! Till I built her one!

The system (?) was:
    486SX33
    1 meg video
    generic sound
    210 mb harddrive
    14" monitor
    Cannon Printer
    2400 Modem

To think I actually played Doom over the modem with my friend! Uhm, I did violate the warranty becasue I wanted to install a 14.4 modem!! Never told mom that!!

[This message has been edited by lycia69 (edited February 14, 2001).]

SavageDolphin

Absolutely anything sold on QVC. They were selling this Pionex POS and we had three of them in the office the week after they were aired. All three, "brand new", had to be formatted and the power supplies were flaky.

And the company had gone bankrupt.

------------------
    "In a 32-bit world, you're a 2-bit loser..."

chip35

There were two systems that come to mind. The prebuilt systems we bought in california that came with JTS drives for one, I think one of the 30 still has a JTS Drive in it.
    The other was from The Shopping Channel. It had the state of the art crap hardware (the older Seagate, micro-atx 1 3 slot total, cheapo Trident and I WILL SEVERELY HARRASS the tech who built if I ever find out who it was.Let me explain:
    Ya know the case where the backplane for the motherboard comes loose by removing a few screws? Well, this joker installed it at an angle before installing the motherboard. This of course mad the Motherboard sit at an angle. He decided to DOUBLE UP on the brass spacers to adjust the motherboard at the one end so cards would actually reach the slots. They almost did. He installed the cards, hammered them in so they were in the slots tested and shipped the thing.At the other end when it arrived it of course didn't work.EVERY SINGLE CARD HAD POPPED OUT during shipping.He must have warped the backplane to get them in. I couldn't see how they ever reached the slot but then I saw the doubled up spacers. I fixed what I could (redo backplane, seat cards etc) but I could not help but crack up laughing everytime I saw the machine as it waited to be picked up a week later.

------------------
    What's the differance between 'twisted' and 'torqued' anyways?

Jake_the_cat

Wink

I would like to see them bring back the ultra-multi-platter scsi hard drives. I think it was seagate only, but I kid you not, the hard drive was as big as a shoebox, weighed more than a watermelon, and was 500MB!

------------------
    You sure have a pretty floppy.

CREEPINGDEATH

ok worst thing ever....hmmm you guys remember when Toys R Us sold computers?

Need i say more?

------------------
    What Me Worry?

Lightbulb

Anyboby remember the AST Premmia P100. Even though it was a P100 it would only allow IDE partitions of 500 MB, took special thin drive rails to mount anything, had EISA bus and took configuration floppy to update anytime you added a card of any kind, took major disassembly to reach many parts, etc...

This was a real engineering jewel!!
    Oh brother!!!

rebelj

Lightbulb

Isn't it a coincidence that as Pack-hard Hell was going out, that E-Bombs (e-machines) came on the scene?

Makes you wonder if they didn't just change the name to reduce lawer fees, don't it?

------------------
    Being normal is just an excuse for poor imagination!

Auric

Cool

I would say anything that the school boards in the area deem as "modern" our school has 3 labs of 486 dx2 66mhz systems and they think they are really flying

------------------
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"