Repairs on OLD stuff

Thread: Repairs on OLD stuff

Post Repairs on OLD stuff

Someone jsut called asking about getting a new motherboard for his company's Pentium 100. I offered him a choice between upgrading to something newer and faster or accepting my gift of a Dell P133 I have laying around--he said he'd call back. What do the rest of you do with these kind of requests?

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

We usually recommend that they buy a new system. If someone's motherboard on a P100 died, I'd give them the option of going with a low-end Celeron base system (motherboard, ATX, case, RAM). IF you can find an Socket 7 AT motherboard nowadays, chances are it won't take the P100, or the SIMM RAM.

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - I only came for the platypus soup
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

sebass54

He may have been insulted by it, but it is truly an dumb request.

Let's give 'em a break maybe there is no IT support at this place and the guy may be clueless and just didn't know how to explain what he wanted.

I would take that opportunity to explain to him his situation and show him how he would benefit from a much newer machine, etc. With a little work, that's an easy sell.

------------------
    "then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way..."

MacGyver

Be perfectly honest to the guy, tell him his computer is obsolete and almost every component is no longer worth saving. When a computer is that old, it is worth more in one working piece than trying to salvage pieces out of it and trying to create a Frankenstein computer. Tell the guy to give the computer to his kids/wife/whoever and keep the new one for himself.

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS11

I told him that ANY service on that system would cost more than the system is worth. I recommended that he try the local Goodwill--that's where I dump the old P-I's that I end up with. The 133 I offered is going there next time I get around to packing up a load.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

One of the people I work with asked me what she could do to make her computer (an Aptiva P120) go faster. I said, "Get a chain, and tie it to the back of your car."

------------------
    ***the Beast
    - I only came for the platypus soup
    ***the Beast
    - That's right...uh-huh... Who's laughing now? WHO'S LAUGHING NOW?!

slkdprk

Be patient. If you take the time to explain to the person what the situation is they will usually buy a new puter from you. it's all in the way yopu stroke it baby...
    /SLK

------------------
    It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand.