[RESOLVED] Looking for Computers in the Trash
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Looking for Computers in the Trash

The Trash Man

Post Looking for Computers in the Trash

Does anyone else actively look for computers in the trash. As my name implies I dig through trash looking for computers and other electronics. I find lots of computers, monitors, keyboards, etc. I have computers and monitors of almost any age and any type stacked up in my room. Anybody else do this.

No, but it's funny, you should head over to San Francisco, alot of the crack heads sell old computer parts. I see monitors, ram, motherboards, ISA sound Cards, ISA Video cards, etc. Wonder where the crack heads get this stuff....
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

No, but that is HILARIOUS>....I bet u get some looks for that!!

However, we do have a guy that comes and gets out old equipment....looks like Cousin IT. So, that's who we call....I'm betting he digs in the garbage though!!

Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

I have a buddy that works for the county and his job is to clean out any old abandoned buildings or warehouses, he regularly brings me computer stuff, some good, some junk, he dont know the diff. I recently got 3 complete machines. 300 mhz and one had a cd burner.
    "We have assumed control"

ComputerInMyPants

Actually we have people dig through our trash and try to sell the equipment back to us so we usually go out and scare the crap out of most trash pickers.

You want to pick through mine and save me a bit on my garbage bill???
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Talking

IF YOU LIVE IN BRISBANE AND IT WORKS, I PICK IT UP PENTIUM UPWARDS, DOES THIS GIVE A NEW MEANING TO "WHITE TRASH"???

Go to any town with a college or university duringan end of session (semester). Research when this university community's usuallease signing occurs (May 1-15, Aug 20-28). Hunt the Dumpsters behind rental units. I have aquired over $10,000 of resaleable items over the past few years.
    Tax free! lol

We have a young customer who does the same thing. He picks up anything related to computers, even when it's dead.
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Found a complete Compaq 486dx/33 desktop including monitor, keyboard, mouse, and the desktop itself....works fine....lent it to a friend who needed a computer as a "holdover" before buying a new one. That compaq is now sitting in his closet...

Also, found new phone wire for my notebook computer, a 116 meg hard drive, and 4 1 meg Simms(30 pin).
    Retro-Computing: Not for the faint-of-heart.

drprinter

Cool

I have 8 computers in my house where 7 of them were from either garbage cans or customers (I work at a computer store) leave there old computer for a new one... one is a PII 450 with dvd compaq the other is a 700 mhz system , both customers went 1ghz and left these to the garbage.

I know people up in Ottawa that root threw the dumpsters at Nortel and Mitel and other large computer corporations and they are able to pick up full P200 and higher towers for nothing.
    "Knowledge belongs in the hands of the people"

The Trash Man

I think the best I have found are a couple of pentiums, but lots of 486s that work fine, except for a few small problems that are easy to fix. My oldest piece is a AT&T monitor from 1985.

Last year I found a Computer in a pile of trash outside of a house that was being renovated, I got 2- 2gig hardrives, and 128 meg of ram.

It works great in my son's PC. <grin>

You wish you were trash picking behind my work last week. A customer of ours had us clean up a bunch of 486's to send to pakistan. out of 50, only 10 were working. So we shipped the 10, but then we find out he wants to ship all the rest of them too! So we have about 20 boxes of parts laying around, until the next boat to pakistan ships.

Having a small operation, and not caring too much about those old parts, those boxes sat out in our alley for about a week. and no one touched 'em!