Ever get frustrated with company policies?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ever get frustrated with company policies?

Post Ever get frustrated with company policies?

Arggghhhh!!!! I'm fuming right now. I work on deskside support and came across an active account on our network for a user that left the company over 3 years ago. I sent a ticket through our help desk to have it deleted by our systems access group. They sent it back and informed me that I have to submit a request through security to have it deleted. This could take up to a month. I just don't understand why, after I found a security hole that could have been being used by a disgruntled, fired employee, they don't want to fix it! Any of you ever run into situations like this before?

Yup, my whole company is based on that very principle. They make everything just annoying enough to filter out the arbitrary requests. Come to think of it, I need to call purchasing. I requested a Compaq screwdriver for a new hire like 3 weeks ago, and it hasn't been ordered yet. We do most of our own maintenance, because getting business support up here requires an act of God. I'm convinced that if a help desk guy shows up in a timely manner, about 4 days for this company, it will be one of the Seven Signs of the Apocalypse.
    end of line.

I love company policy - the ability to tell a user, no I am sorry, but policy changed and you now have to wait 3 days for a response to a 15 sec. change.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

I am the primary tech support as well as the info security contact for my department. So I get to hear if from both ends. If it's not a hardware/software problem it's almost certainly a rights/privileges issue (it is NEVER a training issue). I love company policy because it is the only thing I can hide behind sometimes. If someone does not want to wait 1 hour for me to make it over to their desk and uninstall their crappy little shareware proggie that is now screwing up Windows, then they are more than welcome to follow company procedure and call the help desk, open a trouble ticket and wait 4-8 hours for a vendor tech to make it out to fix their PC. Not to mention the fact that the vendor tech is not nearly as patient and nice as me. They will tear you a new one and lock down the W/S for installing unauthorized software. (I sometimes let screen savers and wallpapers slide.)

Corporate red tape and baloney is the only refuge for front-line tech's like me.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Angry

Here where i am the users are 75% boss an upper managment so they modify the company policies just to have what they want. That mean if they ask just give them they will have the policies change anyway so ...

Let me tell you it really suck!!!
    Remember a nice and kind user must be up to something

Where I work the phrase company policy is synonymous with the word procrastination. It's highly flustrating when you have software or hardware to put in place, but you have to wait for some committee to ok it. Generally we just go ahead and do whatever we need to do, but not activate the changes. Then when the upper level management comes breathing down our necks about why it hasen't been done yet, we can say,"well, our part is done, we're just waiting on.. yadda."

~J
    - Hey, why is it I see so many ads now that I have a cable modem?
    - That's because you're online a lot more.
    - oh yeah.

Yeah, gotta love them policies.....too bad they really aren't followed here....EVERYONE (except, of course management) is supposed to turn in a trouble ticket for ANYTHING that needs done...but TONS of people stop me in the hall wanting help etc..they get PI$$ED when I tell them they have to open a TR, but my boss supports me on it, so that helps...I just have half the world pi$$ed at me most of the time....oh well...the life of a tech...*&sigh*&
    Failure is not an option -- its a "feature" of Windows.

Mama never told me geekhood was gonna be like this....

i got burnt bye company policy dells company policy we have an account with them i think within the last 3 years we have bought 3 million dollaz worth of equpment. we have technical people on site and they know this i got this one jack a$$ that wouldnt send me a dam floppy drive because i wasnt in front of the dam pc like i dont know how to daig a good from bad floppy drive. i mean wtf we spend 3 mill and you can send me a floppy. i will send you the old one back and shyt its not like you send me a new floppy anyway.. o and yes all systems are under warrenty.. neddles to say we are no longer buying systems from them probaly go to micron or something
    Impounded impressions of aggressive democracy see lil need to help poverty/
    A land of freedom? Of wealth? Of justice?
    I fear not for me, but for my children to wake up and see, that I am nothing but a slave
    In modern society

We have all Gateways where I work. It's pretty nice tho, all we have to do is tell our boss what we need to fix the computer... give him a part and a serial number, he emails them and we get a replacement in the mail about a week later. I don't know if it's because we have some sort of agreement with them or if it's just because we're an educational institution, but they never second guess us.
    - Hey, why is it I see so many ads now that I have a cable modem?
    - That's because you're online a lot more.
    - oh yeah.

to tell you the truth, i think its gateway. our dvd for no noticeable reason would not stay closed. it would immediately pop back out again. i emailed tech support, explained the problem, and got a new drive in a couple weeks. but you have to send in the old part, so im guessing they have a policy of repairing and re-using sent in stuff to send to people who have problems.
    General Darksteel, fascist dictator, socially inept and clueless demagouge, and one man army of the L.U.R.K.

Where I'm at now, it's easier to throw away a dead hard drive than it is to get a warranty replacement. I still haven't heard back about the defective 60G drive I took back to purchasing nearly a year ago!

I could RMA them myself in under a week, but I'm not allowed to.

We run strictly IBM here, and I can call IBM with a part number and serial number of the machine, and I usually get a replacement within a couple of days.

texasred

Talking

we use gateway,they have a faxback system as per our agreement ,,,24 to 48 hours tops.no question asked....

Sage

Last company I worked for took away our health insurance to pay for a lawsuit against one of the managers... He got drunk and ran over someones kid. The "official" explanation was that "due to the rising cost of healthcare..." <HACK> Needless to say I don't work there anymore...

Originally posted by Jubii:
    We have all Gateways where I work..............they never second guess us.
    Ditto here. They've been very good with us as well. We're a private company and we have no complaints with their service, in spite of some of the horror stories I've read recently regarding some of their "stupid rules"!
    "what'dya mean I hosed the whole thing? Is that bad?"