[RESOLVED] Win98 SE reboot on shutdown

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win98 SE reboot on shutdown

Simon Crowhurst

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win98 SE reboot on shutdown

I just set up a Gigabyte motherboard with appolo pro chipset and Windows se. Its an ATX system and I have the power management enabled and have installed SP4.19 viatech drivers. When I select shutdown, the machine reboots rather than shutting off power -ideas??

Simon

SHUT DOWN WINDOWS 98 FAST!

When you shut down Windows 98, you have to go through several steps. I've discovered a way to shut down Windows 98 in one simple double-click. To implement this technique, launch the Create Shortcut wizard by right-clicking on the desktop and selecting the New/Shortcut command from the shortcut menu. Once the Create Shortcut wizard loads, type
    c:\windows\rundll.exe user.exe,exitwindows
    in the Command Line text box. (Make sure that there isn't a space between the comma and the exitwindows parameter, or the command won't work.) To continue, click Next. When the next page appears, type Shut Down Windows 98 NOW! in the Select a Name for the Shortcut text box, and click Finish. Now, when you're ready to shut down Windows 98, close all your applications as you normally would and then just double-click the new Shut Down Windows 98 NOW! icon.

------------------
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.
    An obstacle is something you see when you take your eyes off your goal.

Had that problem on a Gateway ATX system a customer brought in. Changed the power supply and the problem went away.

Dean

You can find your answer from our "friends" at Microsoft. The problem is common and requires that fast shutdown be disabled in the registry. I don't remember the exact location in the registry, but if you search microsoft support with the keywords of "fast shutdown reboot", you should be able to find it.

kierco4

Microsoft has a win98 shutdown supplement patch which is supposed to fix that problem.
    It should show up on Windows update from start menu.