Networking the Lexmark X83

Thread: Networking the Lexmark X83

Post Networking the Lexmark X83

Okay, I had to get a new printer, Epson has been pissing me off (the company as a whole) so I decided to switch my long time printer manufacturer. I picked up a Lexmark X83 because I wanted a nice printer and the extra features were quite a bonus. I read originally, and still to this date, that it can't be networked via p2p in Windows which wasn't a huge deal but I'd like to do it if possible. I just hate having to transfer documents to my computer from my lappy before printing if it isn't necessary. Well, I finally decided to try and it doesn't work. When I try to install the printer as a network printer on my lappy (98se) it starts the lexmark installation program gives an illegal application error message and shuts down. Has anybody successfully networked this printer? By the way, not hard networked... don't want to have to go buy a print server.
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

^bump^

anybody?
    The Artisan formerly known as A+Tech.

Arrow

Well, I don't have a direct answer to your problem but go here for <a href="http://drivers.lexmark.com/drivers.nsf/printer+driver/A5BFE93DC5E7E9ED85256AB7006693B6?OpenDocument" target="_blank">downloads for your X83</a> . It might have a later version than what you have. Also, notice the firmware update at the bottom of that page.
    Go here for <a href="http://www.lexmark.com/publications/eng/x83/index.html" target="_blank">User's Guides for the X83</a> .
    Sorry I couldn't help out more...Good Luck!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

I've got this printer combo. It's currently sitting in my attic because it's a piece of crap. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It constantly crashed my systems no matter what driver I used or how I configured things. Systems using 98SE, Win2k, and XPPro, fully updated etc, with latest drivers for the Lexmark.

Not only did it crash any system I installed it on, but the buttons never worked and the control software was buggy. The scanner worked intermittently before finally quitting after about 2 weeks' use. I ended up buying a different printer with a separate scanner.

The only good part about it was that it was a freebie I got with a new computer I purchased for the office, so at least I wasn't out much in the way of cash.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sol:
    <strong>I've got this printer combo. It's currently sitting in my attic because it's a piece of crap. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It constantly crashed my systems no matter what driver I used or how I configured things. Systems using 98SE, Win2k, and XPPro, fully updated etc, with latest drivers for the Lexmark.

Not only did it crash any system I installed it on, but the buttons never worked and the control software was buggy. The scanner worked intermittently before finally quitting after about 2 weeks' use. I ended up buying a different printer with a separate scanner.

The only good part about it was that it was a freebie I got with a new computer I purchased for the office, so at least I wasn't out much in the way of cash.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry to hear about that - you must have completely lucked out.

I have the same printer, the latest in a series of Lexmark purchases I have made, and I'm completely satisfied with it.

My original reason for getting the X83 was the amount of favorable user reviews I'd read.

The problems you've listed I did not encounter, but I did have to RMA my X83 for a "disconnection" problem which seemed to have been affecting some models.

24 hours later I had a new X83 set up and haven't had any problems with this one since.

Their warranty and customer service are tops in my book.
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -Douglas Adams

Tattoo addict

hi A+, is the laptop connected to the network and able to see the other pc's when you are trying to install the network printer?

I have a HP 940c networked with 2 win2k and 2 Win ME boxes here no prob.

could you fool the printer by installing it locally on the laptop (probably should physically connect it too for good measure) hook the printer back up to the desktop and share it. then change the port on your laptop to //computer/printer

and remove any lexmark startup software that loads at startup and checks for connectivity.

not sure if it would work but who knows? have gotten other printers to work this way.