'serial presence detect - device data missing

Thread: 'serial presence detect - device data missing

Banned

Post 'serial presence detect - device data missing

can anyone help with this one? .....
    customer rung me up ...intel 810/815 board (not sure which one) ....built in video and sound ...machine crashes ie just restarts ...at random. AMI type bios ...when i removed the company logo and allowed normal booting i see the message "'serial presence detect - device data missing" .

the other worrying thing is .....one of the (large)components ...about an inch square is getting pretty hot.(hasnt got a heatsink)

i was thinking possible faulty PSU. now im wondering if the bios has been corrupted (ie loss of power whilst in bios). ive cleared the bios and gone in maintanace mode ,,,,,cant see anything obvious.

celleron 700 (x66) ...tried two sticks of memory (origional kingston 64m) and a 256 unbranded from my own machine.

anyone know where to get a bios update for those boards.

any help ?

freddy

Hi Freddy, usually an SPD error refers to a bad memory component on Intel motherboards, quick way to find out is swap the memory, some Intel boards are pickier than others when it comes to using generic stuff.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Bios for Intel Motherboards can be found at http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/genbios.htm
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov