AMD servers

Thread: AMD servers

Post AMD servers

Anybody besides me running amd based servers?
    Currently have 4 1 gig athlon servers running, doing well. Anybody else?
    Must not strangle users. Repeat. Must not strangle users.

Are these major-brand servers with common server components (i.e. RAID controllers, SCSI hard drives, hot swappable, etc.) or are these powerful workstations with a server OS installed on them?

The reason I ask it that I thought AMD was not coming out with a server version of the Athlon (i.e. one that would run in a dual or quad processor configuration) until Q3. The reason being that they had to give the mobo manufacturers more time to come up with a stable design that would not melt the whole machine.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

I was using a K6-200 as a web & FTP server, once upon a time. Does that count?

I have a 450 K6-2 running proxy for my office, damn thing crashes every couple weeks. I probably need to bump the ram up to 64MB LoL

Originally posted by Blehboy:
    Are these major-brand servers with common server components (i.e. RAID controllers, SCSI hard drives, hot swappable, etc.) or are these powerful workstations with a server OS installed on them?

The reason I ask it that I thought AMD was not coming out with a server version of the Athlon (i.e. one that would run in a dual or quad processor configuration) until Q3. The reason being that they had to give the mobo manufacturers more time to come up with a stable design that would not melt the whole machine.
    These are raid,scsci, and hot swappable. But they are not major brand. When AMD does actually release servers as in dual tbird setups I'll got to those. Other than the fact that they dont say dell or compaq, they are almost identical to the poweredges they replaced but a hell of a lot faster.

I have been curious how stable an Athlon would be in a server environment. I knew they had no dual processor boards yet but you could still run it single processor with raid and scsi but I was not sure how stable it was and in a server environment you do not want to guess.Most of our customers are not convinced either so they continue to buy Intel, not necessarily for the dual processor but for reliability.

some boards come with RAID on it. My freind the loony games maniac. MAYBE spends 1 hour per day on his cpu. He has a RAID 0 1.2GHz Tbird with 60GB Hard drive. 1GB of RAM also. with a 64MB DDR video card. I think that is overboard for how little he uses it.
    That runs good though. The RAID is fine, and everything else works with it. He hasn't crashed yet, but he rarely uses it(in comparison)

Darren Wilson

My 1Ghz T-Bird is on 24/7/365 and is only rebooted if an application or driver demands it to be and I have had no problems with it, now it is up & running. Most boards with VIA chipsets & RAID onboard need some thought in setting them up properly to make them run 100% stable. IDE RAID cannot really be compared to SCSI RAID due to the limitations of the onboard RAID controller

Anyone who would use any AMD chip other than an ATHLON/Thunderbird is just nuts. The K6 was OK, I guess, but the K6-2's chipset issues were just HORRID. I don't know anything about the k6-3's chipset, but I belive it was also Super-7/ALi/Via evilness.

As far as the ATHLON goes though, I am positive it would do just fine. (Not too sure about the original slot-a athlons, but my socket-a thunderbird is rock solid)
    DON'T PANIC

NorthStar

At my last job the company build several T-Bird Servers using ASUS A7v or TYan S2390 Boards running 2K Server none had any problems that I knew of.

Originally posted by xsrvx:
    I have been curious how stable an Athlon would be in a server environment. I knew they had no dual processor boards yet but you could still run it single processor with raid and scsi but I was not sure how stable it was and in a server environment you do not want to guess.Most of our customers are not convinced either so they continue to buy Intel, not necessarily for the dual processor but for reliability.
    Mine have been running flawlessly. In fact I am going to be installing same setups at the home office to get rid of the aging Dells.