[RESOLVED] RAM Problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] RAM Problems

kirkleeallen

Resolved [RESOLVED] RAM Problems

After rebooting my machine, or cold start it sometimes reconizes 16mb and sometimes 32mb I've tried reseating it several times but still get the same problem. When it only reconizes 16mb I and I insert a floppy in the drive I get an error telling me that the floppy needs to be formated. I can put the same floppy in another computer I have with no error. It doesn't matter wheather the floppy has anythin on it or not to get the error

If the memory has been working in this system all along, I would guess the memory is getting flakey. Try it in another machine. Second guess would be the MB. If it is new to the system, the MB may not like the new stuff.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

drgonzoid

more info is needed for a firm diagnosis as this could be attributed to many causes - however i have seen this behaviour quite a lot in early pentium class m/b - certain SIMM slots do not like being populated with double sided SIMMS - other than that - a bit more info would be better - what ram, what m/b, what other periphs ?

I had met similar problem with some of 32m DIMMs on some of old VX-chipset-based Pentium MoBo-s.

Also You should check power supply voltage for DIMM, may be it's not working well (voltage have to be 3,3v ,5v DIMMs are quite rarely).If You find,that voltage is 5v(or more) instead of 3,3v , transistor,that used for this purpose, may be
    broken down, or supply voltage for DIMM incorrectly installed.

About FDD problem, please read another topic
    named "FDD issue".