[RESOLVED] Hard Drive stops copying CD ROM?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hard Drive stops copying CD ROM?

Debbie

Question Hard Drive stops copying CD ROM?

I am working on a machine with Pentium 166,48M RAM and very old Mitsume CD Drive 4X!
    I was suppose to load Win98, No problem. When I started loading Office it would not load. CD keep spinning, HD LED would not come on. I decided to copy Office CD onto HD but it will not pass 37% mark again CD keep spinnig. I suspect CD drive is failing! Please let me know if I should look into something else besides CD Drive. Thanks.

Sounds like your Office CD has a mark/scratch on it !

It may not be noticable on newer CDROM drives. Have U got another to try. Or even another Office CD.

------------------
    Do you have trouble deciding - Please press Yes or No.
    <a href="mailto:[email protected]" target="_blank">[email protected]</a>

Debbie

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have tried few other CD's. Same result!

Hi!
    I have rich statistic about Mitsumi CDROM drives.
    If You have Mitsumi FX400E or FX400A drive - there's no option so worried about Your CD.
    Usually FX400E and FX400A working fine! I'm suggest Your CDROM's laser LED lins simply needed to be cleaned (manually and carefully using isopropil spirts!).
    If You have Mitsumi FX400B or worst, Mitsumi FX410A CD drive, You have to be ready to buy
    new CDROM drive - nothing will help You.

[This message has been edited by Ruslan (edited July 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ruslan (edited July 11, 2000).]

Wink

You might as well buy a new drive. Cleaning it may be worth a shot, but you can buy a 32X drive for about $20 plus shipping these days.

------------------
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.
    A mind really is like a parachute: It's a million-to-one you'll need one in this lifetime.

A simple band-aid solution is just to install office over the network through a shared drive if the computer is on a network.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Sounds like the CD drive is going out. You could try cleaning it, but being an old 4x it would be wise to replace it.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

Debbie

Thanks every one. Now, where can I get $20 CD Drive from? Please let me know!

Originally posted by Debbie:
    Thanks every one. Now, where can I get $20 CD Drive from? Please let me know!
    Dunno about 20 I just bought a 44x drive for $30 though see: http://www.1stclasstech.com/cdromsdvd.html

Good Luck
    Bruce

Go to www.pricewatch.com and take a look around. In addition to CD-ROM drives (look under storage), you can find just about anything at the lowest price possible. Be sure to ask about shipping before you order though, some retailers are kinda slimy.

Try OnVia.com, rock bottom prices and free shipping. Much better than PriceWatch.

------------------
    R. Bret Walker, CNE

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.
    R. Bret Walker, CNE
    (I'm not a Master Tech, but I play one on TV)

Wondering what videos to rent this weekend? Check out The People's Reviews, movie reviews written for the people and by the people.