[RESOLVED] Windows ME, AOL & IE 5.5 problems...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows ME, AOL & IE 5.5 problems...

Fierce1

Resolved [RESOLVED] Windows ME, AOL & IE 5.5 problems...

Heres my problem and hopefully someone can help me...

I recently (obviously) installed Windows ME over Win98se. I used AOL for an ISP, and IE 5.0 for my browser, (when 98se was my OS), since I installed Win ME, the browser was upgraded to IE 5.5. Ok...now here is the problem, I can log on to AOL no problem, but when I go to use my browser or type in a web address thru AOL I recieve "cannot locate server..." messages, and this happenes with every site I try to access.

Any help!!!!

Also, I recieve a little windows that says "Loadqm has created an error in <unknown>. If problem continues, restart computer" I am at a total loss.

Thanks!!!
    Doug-

Have you checked your DNS settings? Can you go out to a command prompt and ping a web address? Can you ping an IP address like 12.4.96.2? I'm not familiar with AOL (isn't in my area thankfully). What stuff have you done to troubleshoot it so far?
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

In one of the really, really Blue states.

I wonder if ie5.5 changed a setting that aol uses. did you try reinstalling aol? do they have anything on their site about aol and ie5.5? what aol version you using?
    virgin territory,winme. help write the book!!!
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Fierce1

Talking

Well, I went into the almighty WinME help file, followed their advice, and I was able to ping the AOL address, with 4 out of 4 responding. I'm am learning all about DNS settings and IP addresses and protocols, so bear with me. I am currently using AOL 5.0 ever since it came out, and have tried reinstalling AOL with a couple of different 5.o revisions. I did call AOL directly and they said to call Microsoft, my last resort. Also, my cache size is 75Megs, and I clean out the cache religiously.

Hope this helps!?!
    Thanks - Doug

aointedu

Thumbs down

Had the same problem with Aol when I first upgraded to Win98. AOL uses non standard
    browser settings. After calling AOL tech suport dozens of times with no success we logged off for good and got a real ISP. Incidently AOL 's programmers fixed the problem after about 1 1/2 to 2 months as we recall. THis iS to be expected since Microsoft and AOL are at war !

does AOL use a proxy server if so you need to enter the auto config address or enter the proxy settings
    "The first ten million years were the worst,' said Marvin, `and the second ten million, they were the worst too. The third ten million I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline.'"
    Douglas Adams 1954 - 2001

Thumbs down

CHANGE YOUR ISP!!!
    Chris Roberts
    MCSE, MCP+I
    Montgomery, AL