[RESOLVED] Reasons for not using AOL?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Reasons for not using AOL?

La Soleil

Resolved [RESOLVED] Reasons for not using AOL?

I support about 400 users on small peer-peer networks over 11 states. Corporate wants to put everyone onto one isp. There is a AOL-loving contingency within the people making the final decision. I do NOT want to support AOL because it causes too many problems.

However, I can't just stand up and say "Gee I don't want to use AOL because it sucks" I need to be able to list specific, clear reasons as to why AOL is an IT person's nightmare.

If you have had a bad experience with AOL or it's software negatively affecting
    computer(s) that you support, please list them briefly for me so that I can start collecting ammo. Thanks in advance.

Point them to the class action lawsuit against AOL for shoddy service, bad software, proprietary diallers...
    Consider AT&T for dial-up. Sure, they may cost a bit more ($16.95/month), but they're rated #1 (way ahead of AOL) in customer satisfaction.

------------------
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! Jim & Sue's Free Files | Jim's Modems | [email protected]
    Who needs a life, I have Internet! <a href="http://members.cnx.net/reboot/" target="_blank">Jim & Sue's Free Files</a> | <a href="http://reboot.8m.com" target="_blank">Jim's Modems</a> | [email protected]

PitaBred

Exclamation

My main complaint:

Proprietary software known to cause instabilities and such in many systems.

------------------
    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of

Fierce1

Talking

AOL pop-up adds, easy chat access, non-user friendly email for attachments, AIM access, other crap sent with AOL installs, messes with user systems, not very compatible with other Internet browsers.....

------------------
    Go big...or go home!

Things to do when bored at Wal-Mart:
    Take up an entire aisle in toys by setting up a full scale battlefield with G.I. Joes and X-Men.

MacGyver

Proxy servers: http://www.educationworld.com/help/aol.shtml

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

[This message has been edited by MacGyver (edited October 03, 2001).]

1. Slow proprietary software
    2. Software incompatibilities
    3. Shoddy Win NT support
    4. Non-standard ISP solution requires proprietay system level (network and hardware) components to be installed
    5. Non-effective uninstall
    6. Has been known to cause network problems and be easy to hack.
    7. Not VPN compatible - VERY IMPORTANT in a corporate environment.

Try NetZero Platinum - $4.95/mo even it is better than AOL

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

http://cybertech.freehomepage.com/
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

FastAndFurious

Talking

Its about 12:45pm right now and I have to be in to work at 8:00 clock tommorrw, I don't have time to list all the problems. You could point them to www.aolsucks.com

------------------
    Your Father was a hamster, and your Mother smelt of Elderberries!

window_washer

As supporting evidence, you could show them that site that is trying to send back 1,000,000 unwanted AOL disks to the company, anybody got that link?

Alternatively, you could suggest to Scott an AOL poll for the main page, to have people rank how much they would recommend it. Any bets on how few would?

I can see it now... "83% of professional technicians believe that installing a wasp's nest into your computer would be more productive than installing AOL... the remaining 17% would rather quit and get jobs as mimes..."

------------------
    In another lifetime, I USED to be known as Wayward Clam. But the Powers That Be have spoken, so who am I to argue...?

window_washer

You could also point them to the various articles on how AOL Time Warner's finances have gotten so much worse over the last couple of months, and pay particular attention to the MS vs. AOL angle. Sometimes beancounters and desk jockeys understand business data better than technical data. If they're too dull to grasp the point, explain to them what OS/2 used to be. The fact that AOL OWNS the ill-fated Netscape now might be a point in your favour.

------------------
    In another lifetime, I USED to be known as Wayward Clam. But the Powers That Be have spoken, so who am I to argue...?

kubrick

Thumbs down

If you are using TCP/IP on your network, AOL will put you through hell. AOL basically butt-f*&%s the TCP/IP stack. You will have to teach all your lusers how to reinstall TCP/IP so you don't spend all day doing it.
    AOL IS NOT designed for business!
    Not to mention,99% (and i'm not exaggerating) The VAST MAJORITY of virus removal that i do here is for AOL users. Yes, AOL lusers are typically the intellectual equivalent of baby frog snot, but i feel that this also speaks for their built-in vulnerabilities...
    AOL PWSTEAL!!!!!! helloooo....

It is bad news for home users; a time bomb for businesses. The very thought that your team is even thinking about AOL makes me want to puke!!! That means the 3 lusers i turned away from them this week were for nothing!
    Tell them that you will quit if they decide to go that way...Because after a month of AOL i bet you will...

my three cents!

------------------
    Who gives a F**K about your problems baby, 'cause you can pay the rent... -G.M.

iamtheman

I heavily agree with everything above, especially Kubrick, it will DEFINITELY screw your TCP/IP stack, and Cyberhh, it will DEFINITELY not work with a VPN.

------------------
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" -Benjamin Franklin

Thumbs down

And another important thing, AOl does not work with Outlook or Outlook Express. You can't use them to check your email. If you're like me, I have several different email accounts...and OE checks them all for me.

But you can't configure it to check AOL...AOL makes you log on to their stinking system and then you can check your email.

I understand that this is for business...all of your email accounts will be @aol.com. You will get so much junk email that it's not even funny. Like the guy above said, it is not for businesses!!! It's for gramma and uncle norm.

Anyway, just my two cents worth...
    DonJ

------------------
    "Don't Mess with Texas!" --The Dubya

[This message has been edited by DonJ (edited October 04, 2001).]
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Ya_know

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by La Soleil:
    I support about 400 users on small peer-peer networks over 11 states. </font>
    I can't believe no one has harped on you for this. That has to be a very difficult network to manage. Have you put any thought into designing a Domain strategy, with BDC's at each site?

------------------

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Ya_know:
    I can't believe no one has harped on you for this. That has to be a very difficult network to manage. Have you put any thought into designing a Domain strategy, with BDC's at each site?

</font>
    by george, i think ya got something there. Heck, what about dsl or t-1, then you don't need a darn isp. Heck, the cost of phone lines and dial-up must be killing you. Hey, what about a cost analysis on price of server and exchange vs. the dial-ups and phone lines. Additionally, you can find webhosts that will provide email adresses if thats all you need. $17.99 can get you 200 a month - probably even better deals out there.
    I also agree that AOL is number one target for viruses, security breaches, and spam.

------------------
    them -... when I click on this it crashes.
    me - OK, reboot and let's troublesho...
    them - ...see, it did it again... me - sigh
    them - When I click on this it crashes.
    me - OK, reboot and let's troublesho...
    them - See, it did it again...
    me - sigh

Goon

Way to many security issues with AOL instant messanger.

------------------
    "Stupidity should be painful"