[RESOLVED] udma66

Thread: [RESOLVED] udma66

boxster

Resolved [RESOLVED] udma66

I just placed a new udma66 cable on my computer because before Im using only an ordinary 40pin ide cable and now Im using 80. But my hard drive is still in mode 2 meaning udma33 only when its supposed to udma66. My board support udma66 and my hard drive is a maxtor diamond max 20 gig 7200 rpm udma66. I cant figure out where the problem is. My board is a zida tomato bxi98 440bx.

First thing I'd check my bios setting for the UDMA controller, make sure they're set to auto. Also do you have any other devices on that IDE cable, cd-rom? cd-rw? something that may not be UDMA compatable and slowing you down? If so try moving that device to the secondary ide.
    dunno if that helps..
    --------------------
    "I cant help you right now, I'm venting."
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."
    -how to live a life well spent

There's a reg hack for this in Win2k. 2K does not enable ATA 66 support by default and must be turned on in most cases. I copied this from a Windows 2K tweak guide at www.tweak3d.net.
    Enabling UDMA/66

However, even after you have enabled DMA on your IDE channels, UDMA/66 is still disabled by default in Win2k.Toenable it, it is necessary to play around with the registry a bit. If you would like to perform the operation manually, you can do it by browsing to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000 key and adding a new DWORD value called EnableUDMA66. Set the value to 1 to enable UDMA/66 or to 0 to disable UDMA/66.
    Or you can use the following registry files [Enable UDMA/66 | Disable UDMA/66].

The links work on the article.
    Don't thank me, thank the author.
    The URL for the whole artcle is: http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/win2kmem/
    There is a similar key in Win98 as well. I got mine turned on in both O/S's

[This message has been edited by gnslngr (edited October 06, 2000).]

Darren Wilson

I don't know the 'Tomato' boards at all but unless it has an external ATA66 controller such as a Highpoint one built on the board (like the Abit & Gigabyte boards) the drive will only show up as a UDMA33 regardless on a BX chipset due to the BX chipset not supporting ATA66 transfers. The drive will still work obviously as a ATA33 drive.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website