Epox 8K3A shutdown problem

Thread: Epox 8K3A shutdown problem

Post Epox 8K3A shutdown problem

Hi All,

I thought i'd best take this into a dedicated topic rather than leaving it tagged on the back of someone elses;

I've got the Epox 8K3A (non-RAID) board running an XP2000 with PC2700 memory under Windows XP and its been fine, no problems stability wise and nice and quick. Only thing i have found is that my system hangs on shutdown, rather than actually switching off. Tried under W98se too and it goes to the "Safe to Turn Off screen" so i think its just a setting somewhere in the BIOS rather than an actual problem.

Now, as DocPC said previously, i have ensured that the ACPI function is enabled in the BIOS but its made no difference (it was Disabled). Also, i read somewhere that in WinXP, under Power Options -> Advanced, there should be some tickbox related to ACPI, but all i have is 'Show icon in taskbar' which is unticked and 'Prompt for password when resuming from standby', which is ticked. I replaced the PSU with a known and tested one but no difference. Any further ideas before i RMA the board?

TIA,
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

have you downloaded the microsoft shutdown patches?
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Take a look at the tips here Orange - scroll down to powerdown issues

All sorts of goodness...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Sounds like either a recent patch download that is messing things up or perhaps a program running in the background that you don't know about. What did you install recently? Pressing Cntl Alt Del, once and softly, will show what programs you have running. Simply press End Task and see what happens.

If this were Win98 I'd say run MSCONFIG and click ADVANCED. The click "disable fast shutdown" I don't know if XP has a similiar control or not.
    Bouncy Bouncy

Arrow

quote:
    Originally posted by Orangeman:
    ....If this were Win98 I'd say run MSCONFIG and click ADVANCED. The click "disable fast shutdown" I don't know if XP has a similiar control or not.

So would I, I believe xp has the same issue supposedly fixed in sp1? The disk needs to have write behind cache dis-abled if the patch don't fix it.....

As I understand it this problem is aggrovated by chipset timing issues so newest m/b patches & bios updates are prolly in order [Wink] ?

Ok, have been busy lately so haven't had much time to play. I've downloaded and applied the M$ shutdown patch - no difference. I've downloaded and applied both the XP patches for Easy CD creator and DirectCD, although i only actually use DCD - no difference. Currently i am running an old S3 Trio 4MB AGP card as i just sold my Viper TNT2 card and am awaiting a Radeon. Once i get the Radeon setup, i will have another bash as that will eliminate any driver issues with the s3 card. However, this problem was apparent under the TNT2 card with WinXP's default drivers.

NooNoo...thanks for the link! I am slowly working through that page

Thanks All,
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook