CD-RWs and Easy CD Creator 4

Thread: CD-RWs and Easy CD Creator 4

Question CD-RWs and Easy CD Creator 4

I have a customer who is trying to write to CD-RWs (Acer brand) using Adaptec Easy CD creator 4. After writing a disk he's apparently unable to read any of the files.

Someone told him that it's a compatibility problem between Easy CD creator 4 and the newer CD-RW disks. They tried to sell him Easy CD creator 5 to fix the problem, saying that they newer CD-RWs have something inside them that doesn't work with version 4.

Anyone know if there's any truth in this story??

I told him I've never heard of this before, and I've never had any problems writing to CD-RWs with Easy CD 4.

b4uc1i81

You'll need to install the UDF reader for PC's to read CD-RW's

------------------
    A PC is only as smart as it's user! Deerrruuhhh....

putergrrl

I'm probably wrong on this, but I heard that you need to read CD-RW disks in a CD-RW drive. Something about the format of the file system or something like that. I've never tried it myself, but something I'm really curious about now. Has he tried to burn and read regular disks? Also, are all the patches installed for v4?

------------------
    Sigh...still waiting for the lottery to pay off!!!

There're so many ways to go with this. First make certain that the latest patches/updates for the software are installed. These can be found at www.roxio.com . Also let us know if this user is burning with DirectCD or with EasyCD Creator. Is the media being used CD-R or CD-RW?

------------------
    Note to self: Re-index brain cells, database corruption present.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Mustang

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by CyberTech:
    I have a customer who is trying to write to CD-RWs (Acer brand) using Adaptec Easy CD creator 4. After writing a disk he's apparently unable to read any of the files.

Someone told him that it's a compatibility problem between Easy CD creator 4 and the newer CD-RW disks. They tried to sell him Easy CD creator 5 to fix the problem, saying that they newer CD-RWs have something inside them that doesn't work with version 4.

Anyone know if there's any truth in this story??

I told him I've never heard of this before, and I've never had any problems writing to CD-RWs with Easy CD 4.
    </font>
    I have had no problem using cd rw media in any writer that i have had.

Now if the issue lies in the disks not being read in another cdrom (not writer) the above mentioned sugestion on the udf reader can help, also some older cdroms cannot read a rw disk as the reflective properties are not great enough for the lower powered lasers to read them.
    if that is the case you would need to upgrade to newer cdroms (not writers)

If the issue lies with the writer not being able to read the disks again then there are 2 possible solutions.

1) reload software and see if that corrects the issue.
    2) writer itself could be going bad(disks are possible cause but not likely) if it turns out to be a faulty writer then there is no inexpensive solution.

Also what os is this installed on
    if windows 2k there are several patches that need to be installed for the software to operate correctly.

hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Mustang (edited October 18, 2001).]

Thanks for all the suggestions.

He is using Adaptec Easy CD Creator (not Direct CD), and writing to CD-RWs (CD-Rs work ok)

Also, I understand he's trying to read the disk back with the cd writer. I suspect he'll have to install UDF reader for that work though.

I just wanted to check if anyone knew anything about this "compatibility issue" with Easy CD version 4. As I suspected, this other crowd don't seem to know what they're talking about.

a1computer

go to nero till easy cd 5.1 comes out 4 had major problems with nt and needed patches and patches. 5.1 will do xp joy a new os and now i need new av,cd writer software and pc anywhere. just make life simple and when norton gets all their new products out order a nfr from them and they'll give you a cd with all their programs on it costs 20-30 dollars while your at it get a nfr of 2kpro and office though you have to get nfrs direct from microsoft now and cant order them from tech data anymore plus have to order electronically but when 95 came out i got 95 in october for 12 dollars and office 2 k premium for 175 instead of 800