266 in 200MOBO

Thread: 266 in 200MOBO

Post 266 in 200MOBO

What will most likly be the speed at which a processor runs when it's a 1Ghz AMD TB @266, when it is placed in an Asus A7V MOBO that only runs at 200. Is it 750Mhz? Is there a way to make it run faster if this is the case?
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

If you are refering to the the very 1st Asus A7V, then yes it is limited to the 100mhz fsb (aka 200mhz dual pipelined) because of the via kt133 chipset. This chipset wasn't designed to properly run the 133mhz fsb. You'd just get lockups if you tried. You need a board with the via kt133a chipset like the Asus A7V133 to get that 1 ghz to run at 133(266) mhz speed. For your board, you need the 1.0 ghz t-birb running at 100mhz (200). Maybe you can trade your old board for another newer one, doesn't have to be asus either. MSI, ABIT, Gigabyte make some nice athlon boards too.

Darren Wilson

If it is one of the 'unlocked' cpu's that are available (i.e. all L1 bridges are still intact) then you should be able to run it at 10x100 on that board instead of 7.5x133. I would though change the board if you really want to make the most out of your purchase.

Believe it or not I like this system so far, but I know I could be going a lot faster with the right board.I'm postponing a decision because as we speak we are getting ready to vacation for 2 weeks w/o the computer!! I'll be back on this subject later. Thanks!
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Enjoy the vacation
    (at least some of us get those)

When you come back prices wof mobos should be even lower (with the New athlon MP starting to ship)

I think you can find a good board for around $120. post your mobo on Ebay you can probably get arounf $70 for it so it won't be a total waste of money..

Talking

Well we returned yesterday from vacation. The only time I got to talk about computers was very very briefly in Kapaa in Kuiaa, Hawaii. My wife and girls soon ushered me out, but not before I mentioned windrivers and found out that the person I was talking to uses it as his home page, just as I do. Then the Girl's came in and I was done. Never got a chance again.
    Well this is the current situation. I nedd to make two computers: Mine: with a 1 gig cpu at 266 fsb 256 133 mem sounblaster live SC geforce gts2 with 32 mb mem, and a linksys lan card. My daughter's: with a 750 gig duron 128 133mem, geforce mx 200, needs a lan card and sound either built in or the cards. Should I buy a new MoBo for mysekf utilizing the 233 fsb and give my daughter the asus a7v and buy the cards, or be satisfied with my system and opt to buy her a MoBo with either built in lan and sound or one that will need a card or two?