[RESOLVED] Motherboard Fails to POST - need your opinion!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Motherboard Fails to POST - need your opinion!

Lochdanon

Lightbulb Motherboard Fails to POST - need your opinion!

I have a MS6156 motherboard (MicroStar) that fails to POST. I have pulled everything out of the system. It originally had a 8 MB AGP Video card and I have replaced this video card with numerous others and the same problem presists - Failing to POST. The system doesn't even bring the monitor out of sleep mode. Hard Drive fails to spin up, although power supply is at full power. No one has tampered with the components to make it unstable, but I am at a loss for what the problem is. At this point I suspect that the MOBO maybe hooped!

I would like everyones' opinion on this problem. As I said before, the system does not get anywhere close to a POST so diagnostics are only visual. The system also makes no audible sounds for diagnostic purposes.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

hey man, what if you remove the video card and memory and turn the power on and check to see if you get any code with the leds on the back part of the MB.

You may also want to check with another MB and mem if possible.

------------------
    hey its me again!
    hey its me again!

shawnMt

Swap power supply, do as sugg. above pull ram out and see if you get no memory beeb. Hard drive fails to spin up? Pull ALL IDE and floppy cables from board along with any other extras and see if you get POST. Is there a jumper on board to load bios defaults? If so try it. Reseat/swap cmos batt.

------------------
    Paint your old laptop!

Look , im not trying to sound like a smart*ss , but if your drive fails to even spin , that tells me one of three things a:your power supply is flakey b:your mother board is bad , or c: your ide cables are plugged in backwards.
    Life is good...sometimes...

heh maybe your floppy isn't plugged in.. I hate that
    Choose your future,
    Choose to sysadmin.

Lochdanon

Okay, I have fixed the problem. But first to answer the other posts; there were no problems with the cables... I tested the PS for a current over 24 hour period and that was not the problem. The next thing on the list was the motherboard. I moved all the parts to a computer and they all tested fine with MicroStar Universal Diag Kit.

The motherboard had reset itself to industry defaults and the CMOS had to be cleared (don't say anything about the Jumper to clear the CMOS, as I can not find a manual for this board - board discontinued) The client eventually told me that they had pulled the PS/2 mouse out and plugged it in while the system was hot and the system just shutdown on them. So I pulled the battery and left it disconnect from all sources of power overnight. In the morning the system was fine.

Thanks to all that tried to help.