New motherboard shopping questions....

Thread: New motherboard shopping questions....

Cool New motherboard shopping questions....

Well, I am starting to look at upgrading the machine here and I am considering for once in my life with going with an Intel chip. I have always been an AMD guy but I am considering buying a P4.

Can anyone offer any opinions on P4's with RAMBUS and P4's with SDRAM (or DDR RAM.... can it be done?).

See, I had heard a few bad things about RAMBUS RAM and I wanted to get some first hand opinions.
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

If I were to get a P4 which I would NOT, I would at least get a p4/DDR board. My friend in England has one and he says it kicks a$$..and DDR333 will be faster in many applications than RDRAM.

P4s with SDRAM are OK for basic use, but not much else. And if you're buying a system for basic use, just go with a Celeron.

On another note, why are you switchin to La In-hella? As long as you have good cooling Athlons are fine, and Darren has a great, quiet cooler called the Antec Jetcool.

But to each his own.

davidclark

Thumbs up

Can anyone offer any opinions on P4's with RAMBUS and P4's with SDRAM (or DDR RAM.... can it be done?).

Ask ten techs that question, and you'll have eleven answers.

I remain skeptical of RamBus. Stick with SDRAM. And 512mb sticks are about 55 bucks. If we can get a war going, we'll see even more improvement in technolgies related business.

it's actually really simple if you know the destination ip address of the site that you access with dial up account. Use the route command and set a static route that deals with that particular ip address otherwise all other ip traffic should be set to use the network adapter.

Unhappy

oops sorry...wrong window thus wrong topic....

To answer the Jungle boys question....

1) I am a cheap skate....
    2) I am liking the look of a P4 1.5 Gig processor for $125, and the Athlon XP 1500 (which ISNT a 1500Mhz or 1.5 Gig) being about the same price.... now I kinda seem a little skeptical about AMD

3) Intel p4=400Mhz bus speed
    AMD Athlon=266Mhz bus speed

You do the math

and Finally....

4) I am a gamer.... but a married gamer. I dont believe in getting the latest and greatest, I believe in getting some close, whatever I can afford that is close.
    If it aint broke, TWEAK it!
    When in doubt, throw it out!!

400MHz on a narrow pipeline. It's just like the 1.5GHz Intel vs. the 1.33GHz AMD. The DDR is a different type of memory. The rambus has amazing bandwidth IF it's sequential accessing. But typically you don't have a lot of sequential memory access, uless you're playing a movie or doing some streaming media. Which is what the p4 kicks *** at. SDRAM has much lower latencies and switching speed than RDRAM does. I can get the numbers and go into the math if anyone cares, but that's time I can't take right now as I'm rushing off to school here

Taz: The p4 is a good processor, but the T-bird 1400 beats the 1.6GHz p4 in everything but Quake3. Just to let you know. And the T-bird is cheaper than the 1.5GHz p4.

Also, I would very much recommend against SDR SDRAM no matter what the engine. It's like running a hot rod car on 5" wheels. It's got a damn big engine, but it won't be doing much without the data flowing to it.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Have fun choosing

David
    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of

if you think that a 3.2gb bandwidth would be useful to you, by all means, go with rambus, BUT if you do simple things, the sd chipset will do ya just fine.