[RESOLVED] ME installed now system clicks off

Thread: [RESOLVED] ME installed now system clicks off

triplenine

Resolved [RESOLVED] ME installed now system clicks off

ME was installed 2 days ago, now the system randomly shuts off. The system is 400 miles away so I can't check it myself, but I advised to check the power management settings as well as any board temp settings in BIOS or windows. Any known issues that cause this or any good ideas??

Exclamation

Hey i dont mean to be an a**hole but come on now, lets be honest with ourselves. Windows ME, "Are there any known issues?" Well lets see, the first known problem about ME is ME...

ME is a hosed version of windows 98 second edition. If you get all, i mean all the updates for your drivers and your OS then you will hear that some people, very few, get ME working fine. Use windows 98 second edition, its basically the same thing but without many problems and 2 less features.

ME SUCKS...I hate people that go out and buy the newest thing when it comes out right when it comes out and they bring thier computer in and complain that their new OS is having problems, gee you think, they released it how long ago...

Im just trying to get a rise out of you ME fans, i dont like it, but now i can get it to run solid and its actually ok. I Personally am a win2k fan, none of this ME or 98SE crap...2000 runs awsome with all the updates...

My only suggestion is a new OS...

Sorry.
    Hannibal Smith and Howlin Mad Murdock really do love Mr. T!

triplenine

That's excellent thanks for the help, aside from being chastised for using "the newest thing" I don't have a problem running ME at home. Still could use a bit of help If anyone has seen a similar problem, but if you just want to post to criticize the choice of operating system don't bother.

Signed,
    999 proud user of ME, 9X, 2k, Linux, NT and Mac

Did they have this problem before they installed ME? It really sounds like a power management problem to me, and no I havent heard of any "know problems" with this. Good luck
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

If your sure its not going into hibernation mode or just going to sleep then I'd suggest probably a faulty power supply or power cord.
    #3 1951-2001

triplenine

it's shutting down completely. It didn't happen at all running 98, there was a cablecompany tech at the house when he wasn't around and tried to install a NIC and did it badly, I hope he didn't screw something up. I will have him check the PS and cable.

If there was someone messing around when he wasn't around have him check for overheating as well. Maybe a fan or two got unplugged. I just had a customer call us after one of our competitors went over and couldn't get a modem working. He left all kinds of things unplugged! Obviously they probably won't be using that company anymore.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Question

I have seen this issue (or something simmilar.) with 98, me, 95, i have also seen it installing some programs where the program may be the cause. Ive seen it be drivers, (moniter drivers oddly enough) and specifically with ME if the moniter driver is "default moniter." take in mind these are some of the software problems (probably in the registry) that I've seen do this. It could still be hard ware. Power supply, overheating. etc

Answers from your distant PC that could help you diagnose what's going on:

• 1] Having seen your post about the installation guy over at the house....there's my number one suspect for the culprit. Sounds like a "goof-up-and-run" job. Especially if these things didn't crop up earlier

2] Try to get the user to not enable display power save settings...[in other words, does the display go into power save mode, before the actual shutdown, and the user misses any BSOD or GPF information]?

3] Is the user sure of his/her power supply into the machine...[surges, spikes, even a switch being thrown somewhere]? If yes, could the new NIC have pushed power requirements just over the current PS capability limit?

Another idea you might have the user chase down is to get all the possible "critical updates" from MS "Windows Update" on the start menu.

Like you, I use ME at home, and with the updates, up to and including IE updates, have found it to become much more stable and enjoyable to use.
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."