[RESOLVED] I need bios help desperately!!! please help me!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] I need bios help desperately!!! please help me!!

walker

Angry I need bios help desperately!!! please help me!!

ok now.. I have a M6TLC system board.. with award bios, intel chipset 440LX.

I tried to update my bios.. so I went on and search bios for intel 440LX (bad move.. shouldve search for M6TLC bios instead)... I end up go to http://ftp.gigabyte.com.tw/support/temp/6la7_13.zip and downloaded a Ami bios stuffs... inside the zip.. it has a file name amiflash.com ..I went mindlessly and ran the file.. something pop up.. and I exited without saving. now my computer show up nothing.. everytime it boots.. it make beeping sound.

first.. it makes a long beep sound... follow with 2 more quick beep sound.. unless I have a bootable disk in the floppy driver.. it'll make 2 more low-beeping sound... then it just do nothing.. I dont know wut's going now.. again.. monitor shows nothing.

someone other there please help.. how can restore my bios to award..

I think now my bios is changed to ami.. how can I change it back to award.. how can see stuffs on the monitor agian.. etc.. please help..

Jpbtennisman

You'll probably need a new BIOS chip. Call your manufacturer and see if you can buy one.

------------------
    I am JungleMan.

If the floppy is still being accessed then there's a chance that you may still be able to re-flash the BIOS but you'll have to do it blind. Download the CORRECT bios file from the support website and get a copy of a program called Uniflash here:

http://www.pppr.sk/rainbow/download/uf122.zip

Here are the relevant instructions for making an emergency disk, which are also in the Uniflash archive.

5.1 Making an emergency disk
    ---------------------------------------

It is always nice to have an emergency disk handy in case something goes
    wrong. You see, most flash BIOS's incorporate something called a 'boot block'
    and UNIFLASH will not normally overwrite it so it remains intact.
    The boot block contains just enough code to boot up your computer with basic
    peripheral support to enable you to flash in a working BIOS in case something
    went wrong.

To make an emergency disk one would do the following:
    -make a *DOS* system disk (NOT Win'95) using "format a: /S"
    -copy uniflash to that disk
    -copy a working bios image (preferably a backup that was made while the system
    was still a-ok) to the disk
    -make an AUTOEXEC.BAT containing:
    @UNIFLASH -E

(NOTE: Whatever you do, do *NOT* load HIMEM.SYS. The boot block lacks support
    routines that HIMEM.SYS requires, resulting in very nice crashes.
    And I know from experience ... !! In general, keep the boot disk as
    clean as possible (just the way it is after "format a: /S") )

Make sure UNIFLASH and the BIOS image are on the disk as the boot block only
    supports the floppy drive, you won't be able to access any harddrive !!
    When you boot from this emergency disk the working BIOS image will
    automatically (without any intervention by you) be flashed into the flash ROM
    by UNIFLASH. This is very convenient as the boot block has no support for PCI
    video cards, so you won't be able to SEE anything in the process unless you
    replace your PCI videocard with an old ISA one (hint!).
    UNIFLASH will give you some audible feedback, though:

first short beep: UNIFLASH invoked, reading BIOS image
    second short beep: done reading BIOS image, starting to flash
    double short beep: done flashing, reset your system
    long continuous beep: some error occured, press any key to retry operation

Good luck!!

------------------
    ======
    orange
    ======
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

walker

Talking

hehe.. for a second.. I thought this board has no one that can help.. or willing to help.. thanks for the response -orange-

anyway, before reaidng this post.. I already fixed the problem.. now my system bio rom is back to award is working again.. in fact, updated too.

I tried to uniflash before.. but it didnt worked out.. maybe at that time. I was using a wrong bios file or didnt type anything with monitor showing nothing.. and keyboard not reponding to num lock key ( it doesnt light up when I turn it on)... I used a flash utility from the manufacture's site.
    which is biostar-usa.com

Im so happy rite now.. anyway.. laterz folks