Monitor high pitched sound..??

Thread: Monitor high pitched sound..??

Question Monitor high pitched sound..??

I have a Philips 109s 19" monitor at home that under certain screen resoloutions makes a really really high pitched "iiiiiiiiii" sound that gives me a shocking headache after about 20 mins.
    Does anyone have any idea what it might be, or how I can stop it (apart from change the res)?

For some reason at 1024x768 in windows it doesn't do it, but at 1024x768 in Linux it does...

It also does it at lower res's as well...
    "If life gives you poop, Make poop juice" - Bug eye'd Earl (redmeat.com)
    Gentoo, a Linux Gamers best friend!

Normally the high pitched noise is due to the monitor running out of it's set frequency range. Try changing the Refresh rate to a medium setting (say 70/75Hz)
    Darren Wilson is the ....... MONKEY HUNTER..... Coming to a big screen near you soon!!!

I have noted the same high pitched noise from my 20" Sony Multiscan HG running through a Belkin Omniview 4-way KVM. I am running three machines at 1024x768x75Mhz. Two machines run with no noise. The third machine makes the squeeling sound. Go figure?!

Sometimes if I cycle through the KVM switch a few times, it goes away. I figure its a bug in the Omniview. Haven't researched the problem any further.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

That high pitched sound is actually the voltage regulator in the monitor. The higher the resfresh rate the more juice it pulls hence the schreeching noise. I had one of those little buggers go out on me and when I put a new one in the high pitched squeal went away (go figure). It's probably just some low quality chip that the manufacturer used.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

I have the same problem when my 17" monitor is displaying anything below 72hz. There are utilities around that let you set your default freq to anything you want in any resolution (as long as your monitor can handle it). This solved my problem with OpenGL games running at 60hz and my monitor screaming it's head off!

We have 15 identical 17" ViewSonic monitors in our office, and there is one that makes the high pitched sound in 1280x1024 resolution. Setting it to 1024x768 makes it go away. If the monitor is still under warranty, I'd get it fixed now before the problem gets any worse.