Checksum error

Thread: Checksum error

Question Checksum error

Need some ideas. I'm getting the error message at post of "checksum error-defaults loaded" and then "CMOS battery fail". Replaced battery, the system clock keeps time but I still get the error message. I've flashed the BIOS chip with the latest and used the switches to clear the CMOS and DMI pool but still have the error. Am I missing something or do I have a solder joint loose? Board going bad?
    It is a BCM QS750 running a 650 slot A Athlon,128MB SDRAM, floppy and I have an ISA bus video card (ATI)in while I'm troubleshooting it. I've had a Matrox 450 dual head, Vortex PCI sound card and BTC 40X CDROM installed and running without any major problems. I'm just trying to figure out how to fix the error and be able to change BIOS settings.
    BTW it is a used board and was like this when I started it. I've used it over a month but want to to finish it right. Thanks
    Computers follow your orders, not your intentions.

How are you running it ? bypassing with Esc or F1 or whatever?

First boot from off only or on reset as well?

Just the Isa video while testing & error?

You are putting the clear cmos jumper back right?

Otherwise I think you may have answered your own question.

Cool

I just hit F1 to bypass and start it.
    I've had the error since I got it up and running, I'm guessing that may be why it was being sold. You just can't get much for $12 anymore LOL.
    If anyone knows where the clear CMOS jumper is I'd appreciate a hint. I've looked it over with a magnifying glass and still can't find it. It's not listed in the manual either.
    Thanks

I can think of a couple of things that you should look into.

1. Find that jumper! It has to be on the board somewhere. Probably 3 pins and a lone jumper away from everything else...might be close to the battery.

2 Dry socket for the battery holder to the MB. I've seen problems similar to this with other components(like the PS2 port) but I wouldn't doubt this could happen to the battery holder as well. Easy to fix with a bit of soldiering.

3. Load BIOS defaults. I have a PII Gateway at work that will give you that error everytime you boot even if you replace the battery and clear the CMOS. I have found that if I go into the BIOS and set something different(like boot order) then I save it, it won't give me that error anymore. If it stops, you can go back in when you reboot and change it back to the original settings.

Good Luck!
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Check for virus's that can also corrupt CMOS, they can corrupt it but they can't reside in it.
    Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Hi, not sure if you have been here but here is the link to the manufactures website - (directed straight to the board you have. LINK HERE

there has to be a jumper for the cmos on the board, but you can load the failsafe defaults rather than standard defaults.

pull the battery and power it up again, check to see if cmos settings revert back, replace battery (is it storing newly input info??)

HERE is the last BIOS update for that particular board (released 2000).

BCM states you MUST reset BIOS to "default" via the BIOS after updating it. hope something here helps, but i must admit, the manual doesnt say anything about CMOS jumper in there... sorry man wish i could help more.
    All sorts of wonderful things in life.

Besides what said above, I would suggest You to find keystroke in BIOS settings like
    Reset user configuration data = disable (or "no"), and change that paramemter to "enable" (or "yes").

Did You check "new" (who knows, may be it's really bad battery ) battery's voltage using voltmeter? If voltage below 2,5V , You could get this message.

[quote] I've flashed the BIOS chip with the latest and used the switches to clear the CMOS and DMI pool but still have the error

then

[quote] If anyone knows where the clear CMOS jumper is I'd appreciate a hint. I've looked it over with a magnifying glass and still can't find it

Are you really sure about all this....

You are looking for "Jbat1".

In your defence the board is jumperless and seems to have a bit in the mannual about an "Auto clearing" bios for when it finds something it doesn't like(4.1.3), now I've never seen one of those...

You have tried loading default/safe bios settings? and then saving them.

Cool

Thanks for all the input.
    I think the most confusing part has been that I get the "battery fail" message in post but the system clock keeps time. I believe the battery and at least most of the socket connections would have to be good for it to work. That's why I've been leaning towards a bad solder joint somewhere. I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed something before I put heat on the board.
    As for clearing the CMOS I have been to the BCM site and downloaded the latest BIOS and Flash program. If you type in the appropriate switches at the prompt it will clear the CMOS as well as put some other settings back where you want them. For setting the BIOS, when you come out of setup and restart it goes through the error again and loads defaults.
    Other than having to hit F1 to continue boot it works fine. It's as much a matter of pride to have it working right as it is a problem.
    I'll look again for the CMOS clear jumper. If anyone knows for sure there is NO jumper let me know. I'm concerened there is one and the jumper fell off during shipping.
    Thanks again, Dale

Finding the jumper is easy, simply go one by one and remove each jumper. See which on prevents the computer from starting up. Hopefully there isn't all that many jumpers on it.

Quick tip: I'd start with all the jumpers that are three pins though only two are covered. It'll likely be by it's self, as opposed to being in a hugh cluster of pins.

Hope this helps. Oh, and the bios jumper is usually somewhere near the cmos chip or cmos battery. NOT always, but usually the designers have that foresight.

[quote]Originally posted by Quiet Thunder:
    Finding the jumper is easy, simply go one by one and remove each jumper. See which on prevents the computer from starting up. Hopefully there isn't all that many jumpers on it.

Quick tip: I'd start with all the jumpers that are three pins though only two are covered. It'll likely be by it's self, as opposed to being in a hugh cluster of pins.

Hope this helps. Oh, and the bios jumper is usually somewhere near the cmos chip or cmos battery. NOT always, but usually the designers have that foresight.

[Post edit] After I downloaded and zoomed on the pic of the Mobo, and after I read, the manuel, it would appear that there are some jumpers on the board, but nothing for clearing the bios. I still would think there would be one, but I guess it's a possability there isn't.

Cool

Thanks Quiet Thunder. I wish it were that easy. When they say this is a jumperless board they mean it. I don't see even one set of jumpers for anything. If it wasn't sitting right in front of me with a spot light and magnifyer on it I wouldn't believe it either. All the posts in the board are labeled and go to hardware. I was even looking for a little "button" or such by the battery but it's clean. If they had a better picture on their site you could see for yourself.I was hopeing someone had this board and could tell me for sure. The CMOS was cleared by the extra switches I used with the BIOS flash so I know that's not the problem.

Cool

Thanks to all who posted. I finally called it quits and put it back together. I know the CMOS had been cleared because there was a moment of "DOH" when I forgot to enter setup and load the settings. I'm not sure but I think the message is an error. The BIOS holds the changes I make so it must have battery power to the chip.