Secure ID ?

Thread: Secure ID ?

Post Secure ID ?

I just spoke to a cust. and they say that they are using Secure ID on their RAS server.

I am having problems setting up our program on her machine that uses Ras to log on to their LAN. What exactly is "Secure ID"?

I am trying to log an Windows NT 4.0 Wkstn to their RAS server but the connection attempt is stopped and everything just shuts down. Is there a certain way that you have to configure NT to Log on ?

All I am doing is using Dial Up networking and dialing into their server as if it were an ISP.

Thanks
    hey its me again!

unikey

Secure ID (in the uk anywy) is a credit sized card with a 6 didgit random number that changes wvery 60 seconds and each card is tied to a single user ID, British Telecom use them and the login process goes
    Login:UserID/secure ID card number....rtn
    Password:Password.....................rtn

It doesn't work with auto login etc and must be plain text

Hope that helps

Simon

yes that helps. But what I want to know is how do you tell NT RAS that you have one of those servers. In other words, when you dial into a RAS server, how and when are you asked for the user name and secure password. and when will you be prompted for the logon user name and password for the ras server ?

Is is done thru scripts ?
    hey its me again!

You have to configure DUN to use the same level of encryption / security as the RA server. A secure ID is defined differently according to the specified security level.

Just make sure the user's dial-in security level matches the server's setting.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher,
    but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Just make sure the user's dial-in security level matches the server's setting

Does this mean that if they are set the same, then you will only be prompted once for a user name and password ?
    hey its me again!

Is this a laptop? Desktop? what?

There are different ways to go about this, but just use the logon via DUN option from the login box. You CAN'T login in, and then dial up a RAS like an ISP if they have the security set very high. NT performs the security verification in the background during login.

And it will probably prompt for username & password twice - before the modem dials. Bear in mind that the computer you are dialing in from must have permission to use the RAS, and the user must have dial-in permissions or it will never work.

------------------
    Time is a great teacher,
    but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

ok here is more info.

This is a desktop machine and what I am trying to do is logon to our Voip server.

User does have dial in permissions and we have tried her user name and password on a Win98 machine. EVERything OK.

Client insists that on the other NT boxes that they have, when you dial into the server, it sends the logon to the Secure ID server then back to the domain server then on to our server. there is a logon box for everytime you enter a password.

This is the way we set it up under win98 but under win98 everything configures itself and under Winnt we still cant get a connection.
    AGHHHHHH!!!!
    I am more confused than ever now.

The other clients that use NT all work around the country and are unable to compare our settings with theirs.

What happened was that the tech that set those up is no longer with the company and whatever installation reports he used are all gone now. And now the client decided to setup more users with NT instead of Win98.

I believe that they are going to migrate all of there users to Winnt within the next month.

By the way, Our product lets you access the Lan , email, internet, Pbx ((phone calls (local and long distance)), fax, and all the network printers via one single connection. whether it be dial up or broadband.
    hey its me again!

Question

I have read that last post three times and still cannot figure out what you are doing. I'll see if I can bounce it off others here and come up with something.....

Sorry for the confusion. I already solved the problem!!

What I am trying to do is RAS into an Nt Box which is not the PDC. This server has all the information about the users, PBX settings and all the rights for our product.

Our product is an integrated NT machine that hooks up to a T1 line or channel bank onto a pbx system while at the same time becoming a fileserver if need be or just another part of the LAN. It becomes part of a corporate LAN behind a Firewall. This server allows people to use VOIP (voice over IP) while away from the office. Since this server is also hooked up to the Lan, anyone that is logged on, with the proper rights, will have access to the entire corporate Lan including the corporate Exchange Server as well as any other services such as printers and fax machines.

When you log on the server, it automatically forwards your office extension onto the virtual phone setup loaded at the client machine.. This virtual phone allows you to make phone calls through our server to the PBX and onto the PSTN(public service telephone network).

in other words a person that uses this product will seem to be working form their office when in reality they can be anywhere in the world. the office extension is forwarded to your PC. and you have all the functions of your office phone.ie. hold, transfer etc...

this is called telecommuting. I am pretty sure that you have heard of that. Our product is used mainly in Gov and large firms and/or corporations.

The problem with this particular client was that since they also use Secure ID for better security, the cleint was not able to log onto the domain. what was happening was that the logon screen for the secure ID was not showing up so in turn Secure ID would just time out and drop the connection.

What I ended up doing, was that I set DUN to pop a terminal window when logging onto the RAS server. this allowed the SEcure ID LOg on screen to show and allowing the client to enter their passcode. once this is done, DUN proceeds to log onto the domain and then onto out Voip server.

I am really sorry about the confusion but I really do appreciate the input from you guys. This is all new technology to me and I am still trying to learn our product from the inside out. We recently wrapped up our Beta testing and have already installed more than 50 of these servers at diff. locations.

The problem with working with this type of technology is that we need to modify our product for almost every client. simply because they all have different infrastructure ie: PBX, LAN, security, VPN etc...

Thanks guys and hopefully I will be able to return the favor someday..

SORRY about the long post.
    hey its me again!